Not a trip report: Baldy, 30 May 2010

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
simonov

Post by simonov »

In case anyone wants to see conditions on the Ski Hut and Baldy Bowl trails, I was up there on Sunday, and took a few pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 176539758/

Maintaining my record of always meeting someone I know on the mountain, I ran into Vitaly (mve) just below the summit.
Nunc est bibendum
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Cheryl and I took Bear Flat up there yesterday...lots of familiar faces as well. Trail conditions http://www.flickr.com/photos/29308219@N ... 053675701/ if anyone is interested.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the non-report of conditions up there :D . Did you bring axe and crampons? Did you use them?

I think your picture labeled Cucamonga Wilderness shows Telegraph and Thunder. I think Timber is poking up on the right side in front of Etiwanda. Bighorn and Cucamonga would be out of frame to the right. (peak geek)
norma r

Post by norma r »

looked like a fun day on Baldy from ALL directions. :D

Tracie, loved your pic of the Miner's Lettuce. nice close-up. the flowers you need ID for, are: 1. Chia and 2. Phacelia.
simonov

Post by simonov »

HikeUp wrote:Thanks for the non-report of conditions up there :D . Did you bring axe and crampons? Did you use them?
I brought an ice axe. I prefer it instead of poles.

Thanks for the note on the peaks, I'll change the caption.
Nunc est bibendum
mve

Post by mve »

simonov wrote:Maintaining my record of always meeting someone I know on the mountain, I ran into Vitaly (mve) just below the summit.
Mitch, It was nice to meet you and Ingrid:

Great day at the mountains -- the weather was just perfect:
Tiger40c

Post by Tiger40c »

How much farther past the ski hut would you figure it is safe without crampons and ice ax? Thanks.
mve

Post by mve »

You can go all the way to the summit -- there are few slick parts on the ridge but without any serious exposure. We had no crampons/axes, just trekking poles.
Melito Irpino

Post by Melito Irpino »

simonov wrote:In case anyone wants to see conditions on the Ski Hut and Baldy Bowl trails, I was up there on Sunday, and took a few pics:
Nice pics! I was up there Saturday... I noticed you have the Ski Hut listed at 8.4 miles round trip which is something I have wondered about. I have seen 4.2 miles listed as the one way distance but have also seen 5.1. Even the various guide books and maps to not agree on this. I have speculated that maybe the 4.2 is from the start of the Ski Hut "trail" and that the additional 0.9 miles is from Manker Flats to where the trail begins from the service road.

Anybody know? Thanks!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Melito Irpino wrote:
simonov wrote:In case anyone wants to see conditions on the Ski Hut and Baldy Bowl trails, I was up there on Sunday, and took a few pics:
Nice pics! I was up there Saturday... I noticed you have the Ski Hut listed at 8.4 miles round trip which is something I have wondered about. I have seen 4.2 miles listed as the one way distance but have also seen 5.1. Even the various guide books and maps to not agree on this. I have speculated that maybe the 4.2 is from the start of the Ski Hut "trail" and that the additional 0.9 miles is from Manker Flats to where the trail begins from the service road.

Anybody know? Thanks!
Its about 4.2 from the Manker Flat parking area. It's nowhere near 5 miles!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dan Simpson has a thorough discussion of the mileage on his site.