Mount Islip/S and M Hawkins, 5/25/10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Got a late start and parked at Islip Saddle. Only car there. Headed up the PCT and after 1 mile I went right on the forest road that runs along Mount Islip. X-country up to the summit. Still a bit of snow up there. Took the ridge down to Windy Gap and followed the Crystal Lake CG trail half way down. Made a left on the old road leading to S. Hawkins. A 10' section is completely washed out and there is quite a bit of rockfall. Up to S. Hawkins and the last signature in the register dates back to Oct 09. Could it be that no one has been up there since? On to Middle Hawkins. Lots of fallen trees along the way. The whole Hawkins ridge looks desolate.
Connected with the PCT and headed back. Passed the Old Jimmy TC, it looks really nice and the spring is running strong. There is quite a bit of snow around there, but it was soft and easily passable without crampons. Might be a different story early when it's icy. Didn't see another hiker all day.
This was my first time over 7000' in several months and I could tell. I was gased.
Watch out when driving on SR2, there is quite a bit of rock fall.
Pictures are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spotfin/?saved=1