Mt. Baldy, Northeast Face

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Does anyone have any info about climbing the Northeast Face of Mt. Baldy? I assume it is still mostly snow covered now, which is what I want. And how far can a normal car get on the Stockton Flats Road?

Thanks!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yep.

3n06 is passable with about 7 inches of ground clearance and a careful driver. I've taken my 80' Corolla (stock) to the gate before.

The canyon splitting Harwood (and later Baldy) from Dawson has a few spots that might be an issue to cross. No major waterfalls, just ones with smooth solid rock surrounded by scree.

Should be easy overall. Descend via Harwood's NE Ridge (AKA Holtgrefe Ridge AKA Easy Street).

I would like to go! 8)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sam, back in early March I was able to drive my Honda CR-V all the way to the gate. I think I wrote up a description in this post and in the discussion with Taco in the posts that follow it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I see that there's an "improved" dirt road that goes up Sheep Creek and then comes back into Lytle Creek past the gate ("B" on HikeUp's map). It looks like it's FR 3N33. Is that road open? And can one get around the gate? :twisted:

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dunno HJ. I'm guessing the gate was closed because the creek was flowing strong. It might be open now - depends on snow melt, etc. blah blah blah. Ranger Station peeps probably know.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's one of the worst "roads" I've been on. All riverbed. I don't suggest taking anything on it that isn't raised up a little bit with 4WD.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

TacoDelRio wrote:That's one of the worst "roads" I've been on. All riverbed. I don't suggest taking anything on it that isn't raised up a little bit with 4WD.
Just to be clear, you are not talking about 3N06, right?

Thanks for the info, folks.

Taco: PM sent.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

3n06 = OK
3n33 = Bad