Mt Baldy Adventure Race - BRAINSTORM!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

ARRIGHT ARRIGHT QUIET DOWN! ONE AT A TIME!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:ARRIGHT ARRIGHT QUIET DOWN! ONE AT A TIME!
:lol:

Well, I'm not a climber (and I'm slower than molasses in January), so I'm not a potential participant and therefore ineligible to vote.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

No ropework for you? Rappelling?
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Just a suggestion, not sure how feasible or challenging this would be:

Start with a rock climb up Kimchi Ridge

Then you can do a hiking section to Icehouse Saddle, and down Middle Fork Lytle Creek Canyon.

Finally a rappel down the falls in the side cayon in Middle Fork Lytle Creek canyon (I think it's a two or three stage rappel?)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:No ropework for you? Rappelling?
Haven't done much rappelling since 1982 (83?) when I was in the the army. I'd be a total noob klutz.

Besides that, I'm super slow. Racing wouldn't be much fun for me no matter what "challenges" the route entailed.

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I think it's a great idea. However, I too am no racer...

Only suggestion would be that the rappel/ropework section could easily be canyoneering San Antonio Falls. (and the drops above it) on the way down.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Gozerian, I dig that idea.

Jim, we're all slow and klutzy! This is more of a challenge than a race. Not so much a time trial as just having fun. I plan on putting what i learn (as an organizer) into possible future ventures.

J, I thought of that today! You read my mind! It'll be nice to cool off rapping down SAF after a hike up Baldy or something. A sort of a circuit.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Can I be on Ze's team?
Lcpl Hughes

Post by Lcpl Hughes »

I think this is a great idea:D

I like the rappelling part, it has been awhile but I can still tie a swiss seat in about 20 seconds..haha
Yeah, a tyrolean crossing, a slide for life, maybe some land navigation to different check points to make it a little harder and start the participants blind folded in an unknown sewer location :shock: haha..just kidding about the last part
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I like your thinking. Sounds like something in the military.

-Land Nav
-Rappel/ropework/Tyrolean traverse
-One section of hiking (Ex: Ski Hut Trail) timed
Lcpl Hughes

Post by Lcpl Hughes »

TacoDelRio wrote:I like your thinking. Sounds like something in the military.

-Land Nav
-Rappel/ropework/Tyrolean traverse
-One section of hiking (Ex: Ski Hut Trail) timed
Thats cause it is..I was in the Army and Marine Corps Infantry in the late 80's, early 90's and we did alot/few (i dont remember) of these type courses/races..

I think teams would be good as long as the race is over 10-15 miles and may be a better draw for more people to participate..

Also, the obstacles probably shouldn't require a huge amount of upper body strength..ie rock climbing..just because that eliminates a huge amount of people..

and about the land nav, it is the great equalizer between slower hikers and faster hikers..

Also, maybe, an unknown course till the day of..

just some input for thought

but I get your idea, it is all about doing it and having fun
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Most rock climbing done right requires enough upper body strength just for balance. I figure we'll do something that's easy and solid, a test of technical skill to get up to a spot to rapp down.

I was 11B in 03-04. 8)
Lcpl Hughes

Post by Lcpl Hughes »

Yeah, I was the same, 11B

E-5-1, Sand Hill, Fort Benning, GA
86-89
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

E 1-50, stupid Sand Hill.

Kinda corny place.
Lcpl Hughes

Post by Lcpl Hughes »

haha..yeah dude, it was kinda corny.. everyone wore those retarted helmets..after I was in the Army, I went into the Marine Corps and went to boot camp at Perris Island..really just went in the Marines just to go to boot camp cause I felt kinda cheated in the Army..the ranges in Germany were way cooler though than any other ranges I ever saw, cause they gave us buttloads of rounds to fire..claymore, at-4, Dragons, M-60, Saws, 50 cal, whatever..I was able to go to French Commando School and got my EIB while in the Army..and went to Mountain Warfare School in Bridgeport..bunch of other shit..I loved the Infantry and still never had to fire at another human being..I wanted to then, badly..but now am glad that I never had to..just thought I would share..sorry to hijack your thread..but yeah, it was way corny then (1986)..I can only imagine now
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Pretty slick. Sounds like a good European trip. No need to apologize.

Apparently, the Army is going to rename the already corny term "Battle Buddy" into something even friggin' cornier. Can't remember it. Something like "Conflict Management Team Member" or some shit.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

I think this sounds like fun...Would everyone on the team have to do the rope work or could they designate someone....cause...I have never done anything like that. But it sounds like a really fun day and to clarify I'm not a racer, either.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I dunno. I kinda like the idea of bringing SOMETHING technical into the deal so that a small team has to work with their minds.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

TacoDelRio wrote:I dunno. I kinda like the idea of bringing SOMETHING technical into the deal so that a small team has to work with their minds.
I'd be willing to try it. Just nothing too death defying... :P
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

why not some sort of orienteering. drop edenooch into the wilderness somewhere with a tracking device, give participants limited information on his whereabouts (with hourly updates). first to get to him and throw a pie in his face wins
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nothing dangerous, just something somewhat simple with enough exposure to require discipline from a team.

Let's have someone try to capture Eric.

I'll draw the route of the thing out when I go to sleep for the first time in 36 hours.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

I think the challenge needs to include capturing a picture of the range's alpha ram from 10 meters or less...
:idea:
Lcpl Hughes

Post by Lcpl Hughes »

and a swift river crossing 8)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Lcpl Hughes wrote:and a swift river crossing 8)
Naked.