A funny thing happened on the way to the South Fork Trail

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
simonov

Post by simonov »

8 May 2010

After reading about a number of recent expeditions up the South Fork Trail to the north side of Mt San Gorgonio, I decided to do the same, mostly, I guess, because I wanted to see Mt San Gorgonio before the snow melted. However, when I got to the Mill Creek Ranger Station to pick up the day of entry Wilderness Permit early Satutday morning, there were none left for the South Fork Trail. So as an alternative, I grabbed a permit for the San Bernardino Peak Trail. It was a lucky accident.

The hike up the San Bernardino Peak trail to Manzanita Springs and Limber Pine bench is one of my favorites in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. The crest of the initial ridge is covered with dense stands of tall pine trees that give way, along the top of the ridge, to rich green fields of manzanita. It's a beautiful hike at any time of year, and even more so when there is snow on the ground.

So I'm glad the permits for the South Fork Trail were unavailable.

There were nice views of Mt Baldy from about 40 miles away.

Snow is rapidly disappearing from the south-facing Baldy Bowl, but there remains plenty of snow on the north side of Mt Harwood.

A dramatic look at the effect of bark beetle infestation on the western slope of the ridge:

Trees are healthier up higher where this is snowpack.

Trailhead elevation: 5,960
Summit (Manzanita Springs): 8,240
Elevation gain: 2,280
Miles (round trip): 8.6

A few more pics are here.
Nunc est bibendum
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Mitch, nice pictures, nice work, good to bump into you post hike/climb for us at "The Oaks" - great day on that mountain, spring is here :D
simonov

Post by simonov »

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, I ran into Patrick, Zach and Ellen at the Oaks post-hike. Nice to see Patrick and finally meet Zach and Ellen.

They had kiped all the South Fork permits that morning, so it is to them I owe my serendipitous hike up the San Bernardino Peak Trail.
Nunc est bibendum