Permit needed for hike to Mt. Wilson via Chantry Flats?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
drhabes1

Post by drhabes1 »

Just need some beta regarding a possible hike I'm planning up to Mt. Wilson in a couple of weeks. Do I need a permit to go from Chantry Flats via the winter trail up to Mt. Wilson and back or not? Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Secondly, can anyone offer alternate routes up to this location? (i.e. due to storm and fire closures is there a better way to get there?)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

No permit required.

Here's a couple of maps of the trails from Chantry to Mt. Wilson (click for full size)...

PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

:lol: You have no idea how long it took me to make that second map! I started with a topo from REI and I did all the rest in Microsoft Paint!! (I didn't have GIMP or Photoshop in 2005)

Chantry Flat/Big Santa Anita Canyon IS open (all the way to Wilson) but because so many other areas are closed, it is a parking nightmare! They are parking along the road down to the dam, two full miles from the Chantry parking lot. Get there early, and if you are meeting friends, meet at the Rite-Aid parking lot on Foothill and carpool up.

@ Hike Up: please give me credit on your Flickr page... Copyright 2005 Controlled Chaos Design - gregsweet4@yahoo.com
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

PackerGreg wrote:@ Hike Up: please give me credit on your Flickr page... Copyright 2005 Controlled Chaos Design - gregsweet4@yahoo.com
Will do...thanks for bringing it to my attention. Great map btw!!! :)
drhabes1

Post by drhabes1 »

Thanks guys!

I can always depend on this forum to give the info I need. Great maps and beta! :D
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

You WILLneed your adventure pass and as was stated previously, get there early. I did the Mt Wilson from Chantry hike on Sunday and I got the very last parking space at 7:45am. Right across from the trailhead no less!

It's a great hike. You will enjoy it.