North Face the Movie

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Based on the true account of the ascent of the North Face of Eiger done by 2 climbers in 1936 will begin to be shown starting tonight in Seal Beach at the Bay Theater - I'll be there for the 8:30 PM showing In Seal Beach, anyone want to join me?

http://northfacethemovie.com/

http://www.baytheatre.com/table_page.htm (the web page has not been updated as of yet but a phone call to the main line confirms that it is showing starting tonight)

It's also showing in Long Beach at http://www.arttheatrelongbeach.com/ call them for times.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

April 30? That's it? And in a foreign country(OC)? (Dude, I'm from LA).

HJ
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Patrick~Let me know how you like it. I've been meaning to check it out--a couple of people told me it was kinda cheesy. It was playing down near UC Irvine but I missed it.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Hikin_Jim wrote:April 30? That's it? And in a foreign country(OC)? (Dude, I'm from LA). By the way HJ Seal Beach is LA county as well, sorry "DUDE" :-)

HJ
Just in case your map is old - Long Beach is LA (county that is)

Dave it's done fairly well, little soapish at times but it drives the point home, climbing is a dangerous sport and mistakes can kill and summit fever can get the best of the best. It's subtitled so you have to pay attention through the whole movie. The cinematography was the best part great shots from all kinds of crazy angles.
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Dave G wrote:Patrick~Let me know how you like it. I've been meaning to check it out--a couple of people told me it was kinda cheesy. It was playing down near UC Irvine but I missed it.
I have to chime in here- every time i see your pic dave it makes me laugh, i just love it.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

tinaballina wrote:
Dave G wrote:Patrick~Let me know how you like it. I've been meaning to check it out--a couple of people told me it was kinda cheesy. It was playing down near UC Irvine but I missed it.
I have to chime in here- every time i see your pic dave it makes me laugh, i just love it.
Thanks Tina, glad you like it! FWIW, I didn't inhale. :wink:
norma r

Post by norma r »

Dave G wrote:...Thanks Tina, glad you like it! FWIW, I didn't inhale. :wink:
I did! :shock: :twisted: :P and even blew a mighty fine smoke ring, in the rain! some rarely used skills stay with you forever!
RickF

Post by RickF »

I joined Patrick for the screening of Eiger Nordwand. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The movie did a good job of showing the state of climbing in 1936. The love story part was a little cheesy. I read an excerpt from Heinrich Harrier's "The tragedy of Toni Kurz" a few years back in "The Armchair Mountaineer". Harrer's account doesn't mention the lady journalist.