Cougar sighting in Haines Canyon

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Jeebus. Looking through someone's window?

My, what big feet you have. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yipes! :shock: I hike up there solo all the time, including this past Saturday when I went up to the old blue VW bug that sits on the short cut trail that connects to FR 2N76. Well, it used to be blue anyway before the fire. Maybe I'll post pics.

It was hot Saturday, and I ran out of water, so when I got back to the creek, I made tea, took off my boots, and relaxed a while. Shoeless kitty bait? That would be me.

By the way, the site of the town of Azteca is kind of a neat place to visit right now. The fire burned off all the brush, so you can see the dozens of terraces that were built. The road is now way easier to follow than the trail which is washed out from the 2nd creek crossing up to where it starts climbing higher on the side of the canyon en route to Azteca. I was able to follow the old road from the 2nd crossing all the way into Azteca. The pavement is exposed the whole way and it's no longer the road-of-pain (used to have tons of yucca on it).

Thanks for the post, Cougarmagic,

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp wrote:My, what big feet you have. :lol:
hehe - "How 'bout I scratch you under YOUR chin?"
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

this redefines the term "outdoor cat"
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:this redefines the term "outdoor cat"
Maybe a garland of cat nip would work? You know, like how a garland of onions wards of vampires? I think I'll try it. I mean, what could happen, right?

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

cougarmagic wrote:
HikeUp wrote:My, what big feet you have. :lol:
hehe - "How 'bout I scratch you under YOUR chin?"
Now I'm really scared! :shock:

HJ - all that talk of Azteca makes me want to get back up in that area to do more exploring! Cool stuff - even if that cat happened by!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, it's kind of interesting. I saw lots of old rusty corrugated metal, buckets, pipes and such like. I also saw what looked like part of a vehicle engine. Some of the pipes were riveted, which would place their date of manufacture very early in the 20th century.

Remember that "mystery trail" that we explored? It's wide open now, no yucca or other brush, and it's followable all the way right into the heart of Azteca. Yeah, some time we should bop up there again.

The Sister Elsie Trail (SET) to the top of Lukens may be a different matter. The rain really caused a lot of erosion. The short cut trail is in good shape, but I doubt the SET did well. That may be the death knell for the SET.

Interesting place still, but you won't believe how the canyon has changed post-fire and flood.

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I don't know anything about Azteca - I'd love more details!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Group hike!!! HJ will be our docent :D
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote: The Sister Elsie Trail (SET) to the top of Lukens may be a different matter. The rain really caused a lot of erosion. The short cut trail is in good shape, but I doubt the SET did well. That may be the death knell for the SET.
I've "heard" the trail (SET) is mostly non-exisitant, unless you know where it is any way.
Hikin_Jim wrote:Interesting place still, but you won't believe how the canyon has changed post-fire and flood.
That creek crossing just above the Old Mt Lukens Trail segment to Mt Lukens Rd is "probably" blasted clean, not a bit of brush etc, it'd be a sight to see

I wouldn't be "surprised" if there where a few spots along the old mt lukens trail that where washed out too...that are not easily negotiated with a bike at least....
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: The Sister Elsie Trail (SET) to the top of Lukens may be a different matter. The rain really caused a lot of erosion. The short cut trail is in good shape, but I doubt the SET did well. That may be the death knell for the SET.
I've "heard" the trail (SET) is mostly non-exisitant, unless you know where it is any way.
I'll have to check it out one of these days. I've been kind of avoiding it, not wanting to deal with it. At least the brush is clear.
mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Interesting place still, but you won't believe how the canyon has changed post-fire and flood.
That creek crossing just above the Old Mt Lukens Trail segment to Mt Lukens Rd is "probably" blasted clean, not a bit of brush etc, it'd be a sight to see
Yep, and the canyon is several feet deeper. The spring area at the crossing used to be gentle, flat, and green. Now, it's just stripped bare, and it takes a bit of effort to cross.
mattmaxon wrote:I wouldn't be "surprised" if there where a few spots along the old mt lukens trail that where washed out too...that are not easily negotiated with a bike at least....
There are some major washouts on the trail that short cuts from the SET to 2N76. Most are no big deal -- on foot. Going downhill fast on a bike would be a very bad idea right now. VERY bad. There's one washout that one has to climb about 20 feet up to get around it. And guess which plant is coming back the fastest. Poison oak. :evil: Funny thing is that the trail is still shady (for now). A lot of the scrub oaks didn't get directly burned. Their leaves are brown from the heat but not burnt to skeletal remains in an awful lot of places. There's one section in the canyon bottom that has several nice Doug Firs that appears completely untouched. Fire is a flukey thing. There's also a lot of wild cucumber out which makes the burned trees look green. Great season for wild flowers. I took a lot of photos; I just need some time to post them.

Heading out of town until Sunday; talk to you all soon.

HJ