East Fork to Narrows water level / conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Anyone have any feedback on recent conditions of the water level? I was thinking of hiking up through the Narrows, but not sure if it would take too long. I know AW had some issues a while back, I'll have to look at up as well.
Sublatum

Post by Sublatum »

How does everyone think this hike might be this weekend? I havent done it before so not too sure what to expect other than feet will get wet.

Or any other decent day hikes anyone would recommend?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks like high in the upper 60's and low in the low 40's.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text

You'd probably be fine. I'd bring some warm clothes in case you get delayed for any reason.

The water levels are up, but nothing undoable I would think. If you came to something that felt uncomfortable, turn back. You're going to get wet, so just plan accordingly. Definitely have dry stuff to change into back in the car.

HJ
Sublatum

Post by Sublatum »

Thanks!

Are there any other fun hikes in the area that would be good to bring a first timer on, that wouldnt involve too much snow?

-David
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sublatum wrote: Thanks!

Are there any other fun hikes in the area that would be good to bring a first timer on, that wouldnt involve too much snow?

-David
Sure.

In the San Gabriel River area, the West Fork of the San Gabriel is super easy. It's a paved road. I actually think bicycling it is better, but it's actually nice despite the fact that it's a road.

Fish Canyon is pretty nice albeit short. That's just a bit west of the mouth of Azusa Canyon. You do have to pick a day when it's open. The entry goes through the Vulcan Materials site, and you have to pick a day when they allow access.

Monrovia Canyon has a couple of nice hikes. The waterfall from the lower parking lot is pretty easy. They have a small but nice little nature center in the upper section of the park. The Ben Overturf trail is a bit longer, but is still suitable for beginners in decent condition.

Chantry Flats which is reached via the Santa Anita exit off the 210 has miles of hiking and is a great spot for beginners. See this post for information on Chantry Flats.

The Mt. Wilson Trail in Sierra Madre is good and can be made into a loop with the Bailey Canyon Trail, also in Sierra Madre.

Henninger Flats and points north is good.

Echo Mountain in Altadena is good and can be made into a loop with Henninger Flats. That loop is around 13 miles which might be high for a beginner depending on their physical condition. Probably not a good choice until you've hiked with them a bit and know what they can handle.

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

I was up the east fork last weekend - Depending on your height, you're probably looking at getting wet up to at least your knees. It's lots of fun though!
Sublatum

Post by Sublatum »

Knees eh? Are any of the hikes mentioned above near this trail? I am trying to think of a back up hike if those i am with sent comfortable with the water level. Thanks for the help!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sublatum wrote: Knees eh? Are any of the hikes mentioned above near this trail?
West Fork is relatively close to East Fork.

HJ
tarol

Post by tarol »

A friend of mine was up there a week ago and said the water is very high and fast right now. He didn't feel comfortable crossing, and I've been with him before on many river crossings and he's not one to normally turn around...
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Sublatum wrote: Knees eh? Are any of the hikes mentioned above near this trail? I am trying to think of a back up hike if those i am with sent comfortable with the water level. Thanks for the help!
You could hike up 3.5-4.0 miles up towards Iron Mountain via heaton flats and turn back before you hit the harder class 3 sections. Theres some great views up along that stretch and the first 3 miles is very well graded. Its right in the same area as the east fork bridge to nowhere. Just dont do it on a hot day. Little shade.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I agree with Jim's suggestions. I'd probably steer clear of the BtN right now. Seeing all the snowmelt above the East Fork makes me think that those conditions may be a bit much for a beginner.

Give Chantry a shot - just be careful with all the poison oak right now. If you want something really short with a bit of a grade, give the Sierra Madre Mount Wilson Trail a shot and turn around at First Water. It's a fun little hike and gives good views of the LA Basin. Or you can do Echo, like HJ said - that's my go-to-hike for out of towners.
norma r

Post by norma r »

IMHO the Bridge to Nowhere is a great hike on a warm day where you want to get wet to cool you off. hiking in cold wet socks is easier when it's warm. plus, you have at least 10 water crossings and even in a low water year, it's impossible not to get wet. the pools just beyond the bridge are delightful to wade and swim in when the air is warm. when i did it, i even went swimming in my hiking clothes (minus shoes & socks) again on the way out to give me the ultimate cool down.

also it's worthy to mention that we remember a hiker was pulled under and drowned just a few weeks ago trying to cross the East Fork. currents can be very deceiving especially since they are stronger underneath than they appear on top. be safe out there.
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Anybody know how the East Fork river is running right now? I want to take my kids up to Bridge to Nowhere, but I want to avoid treacherous water conditions. Thinking of going up next weekend.
longcut

Post by longcut »

friend of mine went up last saturday with his 8yr old daughter. No treacherous conditions were encountered.
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Great thanks. I remember that a backpacker was swept away this time last year, however 2011 was a much wetter winter than this one was. Just making sure before I make the drive with the kiddos.
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Thanks for the update. Was curious myself how the flow was w/o driving all the way out there. Adventures soon...
tstray

Post by tstray »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has been up the East Fork recently? What is the river flow like? Will it be possible to do the river crossings safely or is the flow too high now? I belong to a group that is planning to do the hike this Saturday and I was wondering if it will be safe to make those crossings now. We've had a lot of rain recently and I remember needing to use ropes for some people to cross back in 2010 when we had a lot of rain.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

tstray wrote: Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has been up the East Fork recently? What is the river flow like? Will it be possible to do the river crossings safely or is the flow too high now? I belong to a group that is planning to do the hike this Saturday and I was wondering if it will be safe to make those crossings now. We've had a lot of rain recently and I remember needing to use ropes for some people to cross back in 2010 when we had a lot of rain.
Its forecasted to rain on Friday. On the flipside, BungeeAmerica is advertising as if there is no caution needed...come on over everybody.
Idea endorsed by a meetup too with 33 people in one group on the way..
https://www.meetup.com/Adventurers-Unli ... 236826401/
"NEW RULE: Use common sense! Don't do anything stupid like taking unnecessary risks that could result in injury or death!"
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Jesus tap dancing Christ. Here is a short version of that disclaimer/warning.

Don't Die Doing Stupid Shit.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

oopsey then...the water levels will be high.
tstray

Post by tstray »

That's actually the group I was referring to! Weather.com is showing a chance of showers on Saturday morning as well. That whole hike is basically in a flood plain so if there is a chance of rain there is no way I would be down there. If it is a warm storm there will be more snow melt mixed in as well.
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

Bottom of a canyon within 12 or so hours after a good soaker? Seems legit*.

* extreme sarcasm intended. About one of the least "legit" places to be in that timeframe. The bridge and the hike aren't going anywhere, do it another time.
Sean

Post by Sean »

From Trails of the Angeles by John W. Robinson
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

Several times we have had to rescue people belonging to a Bungee America party who were simply left behind several miles in when they couldn't keep up. That guy is a major ****.