LA Times Article on Adams's Pack Station

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

This might be of interest to y'all:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... al+News%29
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Maybe if she was selling Korean BBQ instead of Burgers on the deck the government wouldn't have shut her down. Imagine the business!...on weekends too.

This is just another story of the modern United States practices crushing and destroying the American Dream. I hope she can make it.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

well someones gotta do it. we know the forest service aint! :idea:
simonov

Post by simonov »

Packing brings in from $10 to $400 a day, but it's only done twice a week and rarely earns enough to pay the $1,100-a-month feed bill, not to mention vet bills and payroll.
I wonder if volunteer workers, like high school kids, could help.
Nunc est bibendum
tarol

Post by tarol »

that sucks, their food is great after a long hike!
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

From the pack station website:

"Our fundraiser of Saturday April 24th was extremely successful. We had received over $7,000 in donations before the event and with the great turn out and amazing support on Saturday we reached our goal of $10,000 dollars. When all is done we will post a full accounting of expenditures. We have completed 70% of the work required to comply with County Health codes and will now be able to complete all necessary work. When done, we will have a “Pre-packaged Food” permit and an “Open Barbeque” permit.

The Pre-packaged permit is required to sell water, soda, chips, etc. The Barbeque permit allows us to provide hot food to hungry hikers and have Eric’s “Famous Pulled Pork Sandwiches” on a regular basis.

Deb, Sue, Rich, Jason and all involved with the Pack Station want to thank all of you for your supported during the difficult time. Whether you were able to help financially, physically or use your contacts to get the word out, we greatly appreciate your efforts We now realize there are hundreds, if not thousands, of you that share our love and passion for the San Gabriels Mountains, the Pack Station, and Big Santa Anita canyon."
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool article, although I don't think a pack train is usually referred to as a "herd." Journalists.

I hope it works out. I've certainly enjoyed the Pack Station's culinary delights and atmosphere.

HJ
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Cool article, although I don't think a pack train is usually referred to as a "herd."
They actually got it right - accidentally, I'm sure. But the vernacular is really a matter of occasion. We don't talk of a "herd" of donkeys on the trail, but we do talk of a "train" or "string" of donkeys. However, when they are all at home, in the corral, we do refer to them as "the herd".

The most important bit of information that I learned about pack animals (meaning those that are used for packing), and a fact that many packers and other equestrians don't seem to remember or recognize, is that donkeys, horses, mules & hinnys are herd animals, and consequently prey animals.

Prey animals have their eyes on the sides of their heads for looking around, whereas predators (including humans) have their eyes forward for hunting. It is always a good idea to approach a herd animal sideways, looking out of the corners of your eyes. Conversely, when encountering a predator on the trail, your best bet is to look it in the eyes. When you look away you are prey.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

PackerGreg wrote:The Barbeque permit allows us to provide hot food to hungry hikers and have Eric’s “Famous Pulled Pork Sandwiches” on a regular basis.
Well, I had one of those “Famous Pulled Pork Sandwiches” this past Saturday and ... it was pretty darned good. Glad they're still in business (in all respects) and able to serve food (in particular).

I asked for you Greg, but then I realized you were house sitting. Maybe next time.

HJ
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Hikin_Jim wrote:I asked for you Greg, but then I realized you were house sitting. Maybe next time.
Thanks for asking for me, but I don't work at the pack station anymore. I just run the website for them now (which I built from scratch in MS Notepad, thank you). But after 6½ years there, my San Gabriel Mountain identity is that of a packer. They are still all my friends (in fact, I was house/dog sitting for the pack station owner's mother) and that it why I put those shameless free plugs here on the forum. Also because I think folks are interested.

By the way, I know the Adams' Pack Station website still needs work, but it's a far cry from the first edition - 3½ years ago when I was teaching myself web design with (ugh) MS FrontPage... check out Jan '07 on archive.org's Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/200701150011 ... ation.com/
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Packer Greg, the website looks nice, great work.

Hope to see you there sometime (at the pack station that is) :D