Ontario Peak, NW drainage access?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Does anyone know how to access the drainage northwest of the summit of Ontario Peak? And does it have a name? It is the drainage directly west of Cherry Canyon. I understand that the Chapman Ranch at its base is a major obstacle.

Here is a link to a map.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

All I know is Kerkhoff Canyon, south of Cherry Cyn. I'm not exactly sure which terrain feature you're highlighting in the map.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

TacoDelRio wrote:I'm not exactly sure which terrain feature you're highlighting in the map.
The drainage immediately northwest of the summit of Ontario Peak. From the map, there is only one (at least as I see it). Does that help?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

AFAIK that's all part of Cherry Canyon. It gets pretty craggy in there. What's the deal, got something cool planned?
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

TacoDelRio wrote:AFAIK that's all part of Cherry Canyon. It gets pretty craggy in there. What's the deal, got something cool planned?
The maps I've seen place Cherry Canyon immediately east of the drainage I'm talking about.

As far as planning, I've wanted to climb that mystery drainage since reading Crazy for the Storm. I think the plane crashed in its upper reaches. Two of Miguel Forjan's facebook photos from today re-inspired me. I'll keep you posted.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Gotcha. Good luck.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Sam Page wrote:Does anyone know how to access the drainage northwest of the summit of Ontario Peak?
I figured this out for myself on Friday. A trip report is forthcoming . . .