"trail head" killer linked to 8th victum

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

David Carpenter, on death row for the murders of seven people, has been linked to an unsolved 1979 stabbing death of a jogger in San Francisco, police said Tuesday.

DNA evidence links Carpenter to the slaying of Mary Bennett, 23, whose body was found partially covered by dirt and branches in a rugged headlands area overlooking the Pacific Ocean, the San Francisco Police Department said.

Bennett had been stabbed multiple times in the neck, chest and back.

The new evidence, police said, was examined after cold-case detectives obtained DNA samples from Carpenter. Carpenter, 79, is at San Quentin Prison awaiting execution after being convicted of the murders in the 1980s, police said.

Carpenter's victims were attacked in public parks and hiking trails in Northern California, including in Santa Cruz and Marin counties. Some of the victims had been raped, authorities said.

People avoided many hiking trails in the crime areas until Carpenter was arrested in May 1981.

-- Robert J. Lopez :cry:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

edenooch wrote:David Carpenter, on death row for the murders of seven people, ... Carpenter, 79, is at San Quentin Prison awaiting execution
:x :evil:

This scum will never see his sentence carried out
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I don't remember that at all, and I was living up there then - but I was just a high school kid.

Bad enough people have to worry about marmots and car breakins at TH's.

Maybe he's the Zodiac (that I do remember).