Rattlesnake Peak, 2/16/10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Started at 8 a.m. and was planning to do a loop, up the east ridge, down the south ridge. My first time on this trail, so the tunnels were interesting. Missed the turn-off for the east ridge, there was supposed to be a duck, but no such luck. Headed up were I thought I could catch the ridge, but had to turn around, too much bushwack. Got back down to the trail and after close examination found the right trail. It was tough going all the way up. I took much longer to get to the peak due to routefinding issues and constant bushwacking. This trail must not be getting too much use, it's really overgrown in some places as you go higher. Near the top, I had to cross a few patches of snow, but nothing serious. I forgot to sign the register, I was so thirsty when I summited. Oh well, I got the pictures.
Going down the south ridge was harder than I thought. This trail is really quite challenging. I am glad I brought some extra water, I needed every drop. Beautiful day in the mountains, didn't see another person until I got to the trailhead. Chatted a bit with County employee. They are bringing up lots of dirt from some recent slides.

Click to see full size image

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Way to go! That's a tough way to do that peak. Thanks for the pictures.