Cucamonga Peak from the South???

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Not sure where to post this. . .

But does anyone have information on climbing the south facing ridges of Cucamonga Peak? Something like this. . .maybe starting at the top of Haven Avenue:

I drove up Haven today and it looks like you can get onto one of the ridges pretty easily and I did some internet searching and it seems one of the canyons in the area is called Deer canyon? Maybe?

I just look at this peak every day driving home from work and I keep thinking I should climb that.

Thoughts?
Tim

Post by Tim »

https://eispiraten.com/a ... =cucamonga

I think someone from SummitPost tried it last year and was turned back by thick brush. The route was only possible for a few years after the Grand Prix fire in 2003 had wiped out the brush. Maybe with a lot of snow it could be doable, dunno.
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Very cool. Thanks for the information and the quick post -- if I ever quit dreaming and actually do this I will post a TR.

Cheers!
Zach

Post by Zach »

I tried that route last year too. It's a deceivingly long route and although I did not complete it, the brush wouldn't be much of an issue with the amount of snow we have right now.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Interesting. With all of this snow I have been wondering about routes on the south side of Ontario Peak.
Socalhiker69

Post by Socalhiker69 »

gregp909 wrote:Not sure where to post this. . .

But does anyone have information on climbing the south facing ridges of Cucamonga Peak? Something like this. . .maybe starting at the top of Haven Avenue:

I drove up Haven today and it looks like you can get onto one of the ridges pretty easily and I did some internet searching and it seems one of the canyons in the area is called Deer canyon? Maybe?

I just look at this peak every day driving home from work and I keep thinking I should climb that.

Thoughts?
...here you go...

http://www.summitpost.org/route/159562/deer-canyon.html
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

From the folks I've talked to who've done it, it's all sub class-3, and a long hike up.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Without another fire, the deep snow cover might provide the best opportunity. I've been contemplating attempting this, too, when the conditions are right....
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

I think I am going to go and check this out Friday morning. I will post a TR when I get a chance.
Zach

Post by Zach »

what time?
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

I am gonna try to be parked at the top of Haven and then on the trail by 5:30am.

I think I am going to stay left and go up Calamity Canyon. It seems like once you hit Cucamonga Truck Trail you go east less than a half mile before you hit the sharp bend in the road (discussed on SummitPost) which signals what I am gonna call Calamity Ridge (sounds cool) since I can't find a name for it on any map, and then I"ll try to go as straight up as possible to the top. I have a predetermined turn around time of noon so I might not come anywhere close to the top.

Who knows. Maybe I'll get to the ridge and find the brush too thick.

Either way it will be an adventure.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Well, it is likely to be worse descending than continuing on up. Got a plan B for getting home? I'll bet the latest Deadpod will keep 'ya truckin though!

Hope the warm weather isn't an issue for you.
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Way too much brush!!! I will post the TR later I am beat.

Truckin' and Fire on the Mountain were definitely on the iPod today. :)