Renting Personal Locator Beacons??

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I am still stuck on the topic of these PLBs. I would be more open to buying one if I could share the costs. I read that there are no issues with sharing, you just need to update the information online with who is using the unit. I would even be open to buying one if I knew I could recoup some of the money by renting it out. We have a group of hikers here that at times could use one (Taco for one, especially when he goes for his winter San Antonio Ridge solo hike -lol). I could rent it out to members, but the main issue would be getting it to each other. I guess we could mail it to each other as needed, or make other arrangements to pick it up / drop it off.

I see other websites charging a Rental Rate: $59.00 per week + $5.00 shipping charge.

I would think that I could rent it less than that and if we were able to make arrangements to pickup/drop off we could eliminate the shipping charge.

What do you think? Would any of you be interested in renting a unit from me? How much would you be willing to pay?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Can these things be used as Avalanche Beacons as well? (I don't know crap, I break electronics constantly)

They're pretty damn expensive. I'll ask my buddy what he thinks of them. He's ral into electrical engineering (being an electrical engineer helps). Till then, VS-17 Signal Panel = $13. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Today's avalanche beacons transmit at 457kHz (international standard). Some older models up through the 80's transmitted at 2.275kHz (always make sure everyone in your party is broadcasting at 457kHz or you will not be able to locate each other and neither will SAR).

PLB's have a primary signal of 406 MHz for satellite communication and a secondary signal of 121.5 MHz which is used as a homing beacon. Also, 406 MHz homing equipment is now becoming more available.

Since the frequencies are completely different, I don't believe PLB's can be used as avalanche beacons.

As far as renting is concerned, at $59.00/week or $8.42 per day (plus shipping), I'd rent for that price or something in that range. I guess there might be problems of availability (you, Travis, are out a lot). I suppose reservations/arrangements would need to be made well in advance.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Hikin_Jim wrote: As far as renting is concerned, at $59.00/week or $8.42 per day (plus shipping), I'd rent for that price or something in that range. I guess there might be problems of availability (you, Travis, are out a lot). I suppose reservations/arrangements would need to be made well in advance.
Well, all I need is about a half dozen more people willing to rent and I would be willing to buy one. Yes, I would need to have a calendar online with dates available and when it would be in use. Thanks,
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

If you rent out your PLB, there might be a potential for confusion as far as who it is they are looking for! How do they deal with the I.D. information?
Travis

Post by Travis »

HikeUp wrote:If you rent out your PLB, there might be a potential for confusion as far as who it is they are looking for! How do they deal with the I.D. information?
I would need to make sure to update the information of who is using it here:

http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov/

Many companies are already renting PLBs.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

One of the regulars on the Mt. San Jacinto board, Ellen, went missing on Saturday on at trip to summit SJ. They found her today, after two unplanned nights out. She had broken her ankle. They found her relatively quickly -- she had holed up in the summit hut (sharp cookie), but still they had to send multiple teams out, choppers, etc. A PLB would've taken them right to her.

The same is also true of Dean Christie who still has not been found. The not knowing is pure hell. May God be with the Christie family.

I don't know; these things are starting to look pretty good, even if they are pricey.