would it be possible to get up on baldy without crampons ?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

On sunday i have my only day off and all i have is microspikes and poles.im thinking of ski hut trail to baldy summit.....i just got out of jail after being held for no reason(wrong place at the wrong time) and i start school on monday so sunday is a must......if baldy seems dangerous without gear where else can i hit ?...................it feels great to breath fresh air and the mountains look beautiful......
simonov

Post by simonov »

I saw quite a few cramponless boot prints in the snow when I was up there on Sunday, so someone is climbing without crampons.

The most hazardous part of the route, at least in the early morning, is the ice-covered asphalt of the San Antonio Falls Road.
Nunc est bibendum
hamik

Post by hamik »

Be responsible. If you slip and require a rescue, you will divert search and rescue resources to a silly accident and will cost the local unit thousands of dollars. If you know your limits, microspikes are fine for low-angle travel, but I wouldn't use them on anything steeper than 20 degrees without an axe. I would just wait, save the gas money, and get real crampons and an axe. Then you'll be able to travel much cooler terrain :).
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

Dude,
If you came out of jail without being forced into a compromised position and your dignity is intact, Baldy is gonna be a walk in the park, no matter how much snow or ice .....
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

id rather be stuck in the county than stuck on ice......im afraid of ice...
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

friendowl wrote:id rather be stuck in the county than stuck on ice......im afraid of ice...
well, in the county, you got some bad brothers who can come after you.... on ice, you got nothing to fear except death .....so be on ice....