Baldy RR - 2010-01-29

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
platypii

Post by platypii »

Oh man Baldy was amazing this friday!

I went up Baldy for some backcountry snowboarding, and also to test out my new HD Helmet Hero camera. The helmetcam was taking pictures and/or video all day long. 6545 pictures total (!!). Most were pictures of my feet trying not to slip :lol: The ones where I'm actually looking around came out great though! Love the wide-angle HD-ness!

Climbed via Register Ridge, topped out on Harwood, and then traversed left into the Baldy Bowl. Caught up with a few members of the SGMDF in the bowl (Norma, Sara, and apparently Taco was just a few hundred feet above me too!)

Strapped in to my snowboard that I hauled all the way up there, and rode down to the ski hut. My first turns of the season! Within minutes I was down at a little impromptu gathering at the ski hut.

Continued down from there on the Ski Hut Trail, and after one of the most epic sunsets I've ever seen, made it back to the car just before dark.

Such an amazing day! Words and pictures can't really do it justice. Seems like half the forum was out there though, so you know what I mean :D

[FULL PICTURES]
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice pix, Kenny!

I watched you work your way along the Saddle and then lost sight of you just below the Summit.
How was the yaw motion carrying your deck horizontally along the ridgeline?

Cheers!
:D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool stuff dude!
rockboy

Post by rockboy »

Some of the most terrific pix I've seen, I've seen on this forum. You guys do some incredible stuff. Nice job.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work platypii, some fun days on Baldy, I got to get there in the next week or so :D That picture of the windswept snow is assume, thanks for sharing those.

Post by 406 »

cool photos
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Most excellent!
norma r

Post by norma r »

Great photos Kenny! Look forward to more from that helmet cam. It was nice to meet you. :D
platypii

Post by platypii »

Thanks everyone!

He219, I saw you guys going up ahead of me. I was going to follow you and taco up to the summit, but didn't really want to snowboard by headlamp :lol: I didn't catch too much wind with my board sideways, it was pretty mellow, but I did catch an uncountable number of branches!

I'm putting together a video from the day too, to be posted as soon as I figure out this whole video editing thing...