looking for a practice ski slope

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

I'm a beginner skier and looking for a place to practice telemark turns. More specifically, a very gentle slope with a nice runout, preferrably in SG (but SB or SJ is okay), where I don't have to worry about mowing anyone down on weekends. Since I use waxless Nordic skis, and need workout anyways, I can ski up (say upto 300 feet in elev at a time) and yo-yo all day long.

I checked out Baldy service road from Manker, but it now has a packed, pock-marked rut running down its length due to hikers (even above Hut trail cutoff) and is too narrow due to snow build up anyways. Have heard nice things about Waterman area, but nothing specific. I do have a high clearance 4X4 with two pairs of link chains, as well as skins for my skis.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Post by 406 »

Yeah, there are only a few good low angle spots in SoCal. With the road to Waterman closed that eliminates a couple. Might want to look at highway 2 past mt high near the visitors center west of blue ridge road. Also some mellow slopes can be found above the tram in San Jacinto. I'll pm you the 3rd location.
I will also add, that if you want to get good you will have to ski at a ski area. Mt. Baldy ski area has really good coverage right now and chair 4 is mellow. It might be crowded next couple weekend although.
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

Mt Pinos.

1/2 mile up the "dirt road" is above treeline in places and has gentle rolling hills for tele practice. Right after a storm the tree skiing in all directions is endless, too..
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

Thanks for the good suggestions. I in fact was up on Pinos last weekend; very nice gentle slopes near the summit. The snow on the north facing slopes were still great, powdery; others were crusty, excellent for face planting if you are into that. The road was open all the way up to the upper parking lot, but icy in spots early in the morning.