Baldy on Sunday 24th

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Going for the summit via the bowl. If you're interested, "holla" (as the young people say nowadays).

My plan is to go for the summit, even if it sucks. Expect shitty conditions with deep powder. Avy danger? Might go up the right side. Might not. We'll see. Boots on the ground determine the plans.
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

taco, you are going to do the bowl for sure? i think i will drag you up with me in two weeks when the conditions are better, be ready biatch.
mve

Post by mve »

My girlfriend and I will mostly likely be there on Sunday but we'll be moving at a slowpoke pace breaking in our new boots and I am not ready to take her up the bowl yet. If we make it up the ridge it would be awesome but I doubt it. She's still learning the winter snow travel.

I was hoping to take a day off next week to attempt the summit either via the bowl or the regular trail -- depending on conditions. (maybe Tuesday or Wednesday).
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

tinaballina wrote:taco, you are going to do the bowl for sure? i think i will drag you up with me in two weeks when the conditions are better, be ready biatch.
:wink:
norma r

Post by norma r »

TacoDelRio wrote:Avy danger? Might go up the right side. Might not. We'll see. Boots on the ground determine the plans.
Avy danger is a given.
"...You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" Dirty Harry
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Yo Taco, I would help plow some snow but I'm not getting near Manker flats this weekend! It's a PITA if you know what I mean. Have fun!
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Yo Taco and Mike
If you guys ain't doin the bowl would you be down for S Fork. Probally way to much snow to summit anything but it would be interesting!

Jeff Scofield
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Hmmmm.

Taco: What time will you start? Are you bringing snowshoes?

Jeff: By "South Fork" do you mean the north side of San Gorgonio?
kevin trieu

Post by kevin trieu »

Don't go up the South Fork of San Gorgonio so soon after all this snow. This was from five years ago after heavy snowfalls. Those are grown pine trees being knocked down. I think this is around Poopout Hill.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

No snowshoes.

Second guessing due to traffic.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Hey Kevin, Thanks I know exactly where that is. That's about a little less than a mile after poopout hill. Can't go afterall I"m going to Alta/snowbird all next week and my wife looked at me ill when I told her I'm going climbing Sunday. Owell. It would be tough going anyways, last year I was posting to my waist from the meadow to poopout hill.

Hey Daddylonglegs, I might be going on SF yes san Gorgonio with Arthur to break trail and check out some routes on Jepson Saturday Feb 6th if you want to go with us. Let me know or drop me an email on facebook.

later,
JS
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Those pictures that Kevin posted are from the chute about 1/2 mile above Poopout Hill. That thing almost always avalanches in the winter. The one I'm more worried about is the snow slope from SF meadow up to Dollar Lake. :shock:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm not gonna make it up in my car, for sure. :lol:
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

TacoDelRio wrote:I'm not gonna make it up in my car, for sure. :lol:
yeah, I think we're both screwed! :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey, at least you've got fuel injection! :lol:
mve

Post by mve »

So where the heck are you guys going -- I am confused -- Baldy or SG/South Fork or nowhere? I am betting that by Sunday Manker will be clear of snow, no?

I am more concerned about having to drag snowshoes there now, more than the drive up there ...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Baldy. Can't afford the gas to drive to San G. Too expensive.
mve

Post by mve »

Are you going to plod with or without the snowshoes? Your objective is still summit/bowl?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I don't own any shoes.

I'm probably not going.

Sorry to sound rude. It's not my intention. It takes a lot out of me to get anywhere, due to my financial situation.
mve

Post by mve »

TacoDelRio wrote:Maybe someday when I'm successful.
Man, you are successful! You just haven't made it big, not just yet :D but it's coming -- you'll see.
mve

Post by mve »

Forget snowshoes! Here's what we need -- Hilux
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Financially successful.

One can get a Hilux for cheap. Old 4runners are awesome.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Going up this afternoon to see how bad the road is to manker. I'll find out if my rwd Volvo will make it with chains. If so I'm headin up early Sunday with snowshoes and just give it all I got.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Have fun, guys. Hope traffic isn't too bad.