Rim of the World Rally - San Gabriel Mountain Stages

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com/

A bit of motorsports (and more importantly, rally) history in the San Gabriel Mountaians. Hopefully ROTW Rally will come back some day, and not just as a rallycross stadium event.

I believe they did not get a permit reissued to run the rally under whatever reasons (excuses) the FS came up with. A shame. If it comes back, I say they rename it the Spotted Yellow Mountain Frog of Williamson Rock Constant Closures Rally. :-)

Some vijjas:
TMS Evo VI, Magic Mountain/Messenger Flats stages with some other rally footage mixed in.

McCollough/Webb team 323 GTX

Two of the stages are between Mt Gleason and Bear Divide. Messenger Flats stage starts at the highpoint of Messenger Flats, and goes west to just south of Quail Spring. Magic Mountain stage starts shortly thereafter and ends at Bear Divide.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Honestly, Taco... you're surprised they didn't issue another permit??? :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Never surprised at government actions.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

A few years ago a FS ranger buddy of mine told me that someone held a rally race on the Rincon-Red Box Road. Do you know anything about it?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nope. Not familiar with that road. Might've been for a commercial. Loads of car commercials are filmed up here.