Potrero John Trail - LPNF - mudflow 1.18.2010

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

someone on this board posted that it might be best to stay out of the mountains for a few days or so this week. these guys didn't read that post.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/jan/18/ ... rous-turn/

a little more:

http://ovnblog.com/?p=2425

trail = 4 miles w/600' gain.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

“Participating in outdoor activities during times of severe weather is a bad idea,” the Sheriff’s Department said in a release.
Yeah when you don't consider the weather and use your head when things turn sour

I foresee a day when the nanny state won't allow us into the forests when conditions are not to their liking..

This is already happening... Here in the San Gabriel Mountains

Legislating / regulating natural selection out of existence is not possible.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

I may have seen them Saturday night. A friend and I did Potrero John Canyon on Saturday. We did the last half of the canyon in the dark. On our way out (while on the trail) we saw one or more individuals camping out with a nice fire. They were a bit off the trail however and from a distance we just yelled hello to each other. I was quite aware of the incoming weather and thought wow I'm glad I'm not going to be camping out here.

On a related note, thanks Matt for the great canyon beta. That big free rappel is a thing of beauty! Outside of Death Valley I believe that's the highest free rappel I've done in California. Very sweet. Oh, and we did it without the car shuttle. Hiked up the Chorro Grande trail. Took about 12 hours to hike up, descend the canyon, and then jog back down the road to the car.

http://www.rickkent.net/ViewerPlus/view ... lderID=867
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Rick Kent wrote: On a related note, thanks Matt for the great canyon beta. That big free rappel is a thing of beauty! Outside of Death Valley I believe that's the highest free rappel I've done in California. Very sweet. Oh, and we did it without the car shuttle. Hiked up the Chorro Grande trail. Took about 12 hours to hike up, descend the canyon, and then jog back down the road to the car.

http://www.rickkent.net/ViewerPlus/view ... lderID=867
Hey!
My pleasure...

I presume you took the ridge to avoid the brushy drop in I(we) used?

What is the condition of the Chorro Grande Trail? brushy?

Thanks for the photos
Matt
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Great photos!! LOVE the lion track in the sand of course. :D That was somewhere between Reyes Peak and the drop-in?

I'm glad you got to see the canyon - it's a nice one for sure.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Matt,

We did the brushy drop-in too. Hit a few pretty dense spots. The Chorro Grande trail is an excellent trail. No brush at all. The trail is in very good condition (or at least was before the rain).

Cougar,

Yes that was on the trail beyond Reyes Peak. I wasn't positive but it looked like a kitty print to me. Seems it was following the trail for a bit. Noticed them in the snow first.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Bradley,
thanks for posting. scary, cold, no thanks. glad they were rescued safely. i feel just as the Hood climbers who went up the mtn when a storm was predicted earlier this season, a young person feels immortal and because of their immaturity doesn't heed the warnings that a more seasoned hiker, mountaineer, etc. might heed.

Matt,
i sure don't want to see areas closed in advance to keep the not too bright out and restricting access for us all.

Rick,
sweet rapp's! :D nice adventure. glad to see the register and the kitty's are still there.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Thank you for posting the pictures. I was surprised to see my register entry on 11/24/09. Kinda neat, I just casually looked through the pictures and out jumps my signature. :o