Inspiration Point 1-9-10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I hiked up to Inspiration Point from Lake Avenue today. When I got to Echo Mountian, it looked like the Upper Sam Merrill Trail was open. I decided to take it and started up, passing right by a group of Forest Service folks. They said it was closed. I asked how I would know that and they pointed to a nice new sign. It looked like a trail sign, which I ignore since I know those trails very well. They agreed that it was not particularly helpful. I took the Castle Canyon Trail both ways. When I came down, the Sam Merrill closed sign had been moved to the center of the trail. Not a great "closed" sign, but certainly a better location. I would have noticed that the first time.

I had not been to this area since last spring. There is basically no sign of fire damage until one is very close to Inspiration Point. It was spared but a lot to the north and west burned. There was another great "closed" sign at Inspiration Point.

There were a lot of people out today, all the way to Inspiration Point. I don't recall seeing more than a couple people on Castle Canyon before but there were many today.

Pictures
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

why such a subtle trail sign? I'd go all Fight On on them and make a big sign 'TRAIL CLOSED. DON'T DARE TRESPASS. THAT'S ILLEGAL!'
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote:why such a subtle trail sign? I'd go all Fight On on them and make a big sign 'TRAIL CLOSED. DON'T DARE TRESPASS. THAT'S ILLEGAL!'
I'd add ""I'm FIGHT ON, and I approve this message."
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here is the sign that you speak of, today at 11:30a ...

Speaking of Fight Off, does this remind you of something?...
[taken today near Muir Peak]
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

OK, we have before and after pictures! :D
ImageImage

I love the wheel picture. FO must be gaining converts. Pretty soon, the trails will be lousy with wheels. Or not.

Speaking of FO, USC has sure fallen apart.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

:lol: Sign is missing 2010-01-17...
I looked for it in the bushes but couldn't find it.