what would be a good hike for this weekend 1/27/08?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Travis

Post by Travis »

It looks like we are getting snow and going to get more. I heard up to 2 ft in the Baldy area. We were thinking about hiking up the bowl, but it looks like there will be too much snow and avy conditions.

What do you figure would be a good hike? Stay at lower elevation until the snow consolidates a little? A few freeze/thaw cycles to harden it up? Or snowshoes?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'd stay low, personally. Postholing gets old fast. 8)

That said, if we don't get a ton, I might try a new thing on Mt Harwood from the North side on the 26th if you were interested.
Travis

Post by Travis »

TacoDelRio wrote:I'd stay low, personally. Postholing gets old fast. 8)

That said, if we don't get a ton, I might try a new thing on Mt Harwood from the North side on the 26th if you were interested.
Do you ever snowshoe? I don't own any but wouldnt mind renting a pair and giving them a shot. It has been many years since I have snowshoed.

Or if conditions look good I would be happy to try something out on Harwood. How would we get to Harwood's north side? Down Baldy to the saddle before Dawson?
simonov

Post by simonov »

I was supposed to go showshoeing up Baldy with a couple friends on Saturday, but we won't go if it's still snowing.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Travis, I don't own any snowshoes yet. I used to have them on my list, but don't think I'd get enough use out of them to spend $150 for a pair, or less. Maybe a tad later if I can get a good deal.

North via Stockton Flats, heading up west from there.
Travis

Post by Travis »

but it is probably lookin like a little too much snow to attempt the north side of Harwood as early as Sunday, doesn't it? Especially without snowshoes. I saw some nice snowshoes in the REI clearnace bin in Arcadia for $100.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Most Sport Chalets rent snow shoes for only 10 bucks, and REI rents them for 14. Its way better since you only really need them a few days a year.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Good idea, hvydrt.

If this storm did what it says it did... yeah, not gonna be up there for a week or so til' it consolidates!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Not to mention a lot of people might be heading up to the mountains to the snow after all the news..... If I make it out, I'll be sticking to the sound of rushing water...with hopefully a view of snow.....although one place that does not get much mention is Devils Punchbowl(maybe because its so far for a lot of people including me). I also like the idea of Hikeup's Strawberry peak, but sounds too agressive at the current time, considering a heavy storm is supposedly waiting for this weekend as well.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Can you say, 500 car pileup? :lol:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

hehehe...messy driving indeed...thought this was a cool video that someone posted on the wrightwood public forum.

http://www.ryanqc.com/weather/Wrightwoo ... riving.wmv

granted, I just checked the wrightwood forums and they say the roads are clear, no chains required on Hwy2 or 138. Also a comment that the snow level will rise to 9000ft with rain...so maybe questionable snow conditions?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wow. Sobering.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Anyone making plans for enjoying the large quantities of fresh snow in the near future should keep in mind the liklihood of avalanches.

Here is a story about a serious one at Mountain High (Wrightwood area) -- 3 people rescued, 1 missing. More here.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I like that Tacoma... Fast and the Furious: Wrightwood Drift!

Amazing video, really bad to see the blue Tacoma 4dr caved in.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Do y'all figure that the snow will have consolidated enough to be safe this weekend? I want to get up the Baldy Bowl but only if it is safe to do so.

thanks,
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I might go out tomorrow before work, so I'll let ya know if I do. Not sure what's on the menu.

EDIT: Didn't go... gonna wait until it's a bit later.