Hikers Anonymous

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

After reading through this forum for some time now, it occurs to me that many of us (you know in your heart who you are) might just have a bit of a hiking problem. Do you find yourself missing work to go hike? Does your family think that your trekking poles are a just a freakish extension of your arms, like Edward Scissorhands? Do you sneak out under cover of predawn to "run to the store"(which coincidentally is at the top of your favorite mountain)? Is your daypack a permanent part of your bedroom decor? Do you take quick walks around the block, just to take the shakes off? Can you not go for more than a day without checking into the SGMDF? We all know the symptoms, and it's time to do something. It seems the best solution is to start our own chapter of Hiker/Climber Anonymous. "Hi, my name is____ and it's been 22 hours since my last trek." "HI ____." You get the picture. Meetings held at the Ski Hut every other day. Remember, the first step is the hardest (so make sure you have on your boots). Let's help each other through this.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Can we first agree on the steps?
1) Admitted we were powerless over hiking, that our lives had become unmanageable (if we cannot go hiking things tend towards being less manageable, so I for one will continue to participate in my addition).
2) Came to believe that a "Power Greater than Ourselves" could restore us to sanity (that's exactly why I go hiking, restore me to "sanity").
3) Made a decision to turn our lives over to the care of "God" as we understand God - (he understands me quite nicely, he allows me to go anywhere in the wilderness I want to go, I'm responsible to get myself out :D ).
4) Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves - (everytime I'm out there I become more human).
5) Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs - (I'll admit I want to keep coming back everyday but I have to work sometime).
6) Were entirely ready to have God remove these defects of character - (I'm entierly ready but I still need to be able to hike so please only remove the "defects" that have "No Character" - you know the ones, you say hi to them on the trail and they just "grunt" as they go by acting like you interupted their bad day :shock: )
7) Humbly asked God to remove our "shortcomings" - (God please allow me to get more people on the trail and continue to help others be safe while they hike/climb)
8) Made a list of persons we had harmed and became willing to make an amends to them all - (Ok, Fight On I'm sorry I thought you were a complete knucklehead, only you can prove me wrong :D )
9) Made direct amends to people whenever possible except when to do so would injure them or others - (see the end of step #8).
10) Continued to take personal inventory when we were wrong we promptly admitted it - (I'll admitt I was wrong "Once" but then I remembered that I was wrong about being wrong :wink: )
11) Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out - (Hiking for me is a form of praying and God's will for me is easier to understand every time I'm on the trail. I find that I'm to be kind and coutesous to other hikers, be of service to them all)
12) Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to (other hikers) addicts, and to practice these steps in all of our affairs - (I've had a spiritual awekening on more than one summit, that's why I continue to go and encourage others to do likewise)

I'm not making fun of the idea, I do suffer from a "Hiking Addiction" but I find it very rewarding to bring "recovery" from other "additions" out on the mountains everytime that I'm out there. As we say in recovery it's "one step at a time" (which describes hiking to the "tee") and in this case you could say "One Hike at a time"

In my case I hope I'm a life long sufferer of the "Hiking Addiction", it's brought so many good things into my life, fun times, good people, great places, a new respect for the flora and funna and a chance to give back to those that lead the way to the harder summits, let alone the opportunity to help those that would never venture out there.

If you ever start a meeting - I will be glad to attend - "Hikers Annonymous" it would be a great "Fellowship" - count me in. :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I think I might need help. Sometimes, I hike alone. I find it difficult to fall asleep at night unless I've had a hike or two.

I often start hiking early in the morning.

I think I could quit hiking whenever I wanted to. I just don't want to!
norma r

Post by norma r »

Very Happily Addicted!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I just enjoy suffering. Nothing wrong with that.

My name is Taco, and I enjoy pain.
mve

Post by mve »

michaelmagno wrote:Is your daypack a permanent part of your bedroom decor?
True and I am proud of it!

By the way, did you guys and gals notice Taco's new location? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hilarious!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Truth be told.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

lilbitmo wrote:Made a list of persons we had harmed and became willing to make an amends to them all - (Ok, Fight On I'm sorry I thought you were a complete knucklehead, only you can prove me wrong :D )
It sucks that the only person lame enough to be singled out for ridicule here used my alma mater's rally cry as his handle.

On behalf of all USC students, grads, faculty, fans, boosters, etc., I'd like to point out that whatever this knuckle-dragger did... he does not speak for the rest of us!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nothing to worry about, he made it entirely to personal and was removed from the board for all his antics, he just made it difficult. I have many a friend that is a USC fan, well respected associates, etc... my nephew is attending school there and loves it.

I just threw one last rock at him because I let him get under my skin once or twice (as he did so many others) and since the year is over, so is that, done deal :D :D :D :D

No one cares (to the degree that he did) about SC football in this forum (of they were considerate enough to use another forum to express those insights where like minded people could enjoy them, this is not that place), it became a problem when posts got hi-jacked for that subject and many others that "Clouded" the subject matter already being discussed - it's all good.

Hope he finds the answers he's looking for in 2010, but I am sorry for Poking Fun at him - he made "one large target" in 2009. :D You have a great New Year as well Layne, see you on the slopes/trails/bowls :D