Orange County Lion Caught?

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Got your attention, didn't I?
Actually its' tracks were caught by me on film. Pretty sure this is a lion. Can't make the X the way I've seen it explained.

I can link to larger images if need be.

Let me set the scene for you. These were taken where my stepdaughter raises her goats in 4H. This ranch is very close to Cook's Corner (OC) to give you a location.

These prints were inside our enclosure, but not in a pen. The pens are all covered. Pretty much the only way this lion could have made this print was to jump down off the roof of one of the pygmy goat pens. The goats musta been pretty scared. This area is normally very hard packed, so these tracks were made between the rains of the 12th and the 20th when I took them.

We know lions reside in the area and they have been seen on the property, just not by me. I've never seen one and would like to some day - just not up close.

So, any of our famous trackers wanna chime in on what they see in the pics? For comparison, my palm is about 3.75" across. The prints seem to be a bit smaller than my palm. I know, I shoulda taken more and better pictures.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Like to see the full res photos...but I think can see hints of claws (canine)

Maybe Coyote or Robert (Bob Cat) judging by the size by the size
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

The track next to your thumb looks right. The others are harder to say. The toes have the teardrop shape, and the palm pad is big. It does look like it landed hard, or was moving fast. Jumping down would fit

Also, how high is the fence around the enclosure? I don't know how high coyotes can jump, but it's definitely less than what a mtn lion can do.

I think they are too big for a bob. the only option is someone's dog, or a coyote - mud can really distort a track. But I think you got a big kitteh.

Put up a trailcam!! Perfect project for 4H!!
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Ok, here are the full size photos

These prints would have been made by jumping down from a height of about five feet.

The gates around the enclosure are only about three feet high - easily within range for a bobcat or coyote.

I looked at my two 80 lb labs feets today and these prints were definetly bigger than theirs.

They seem way too large to be bobcat to me (seems they are usually 2" long) and the no X says not a canine. I think I only see a claw in one spot - but I'm not the best at this.

Talking about it last nite with my wife, she said there were a bunch of other prints about thirty yards away next to a large tree. On my next visit I'll have to see about getting more shots. This tree has a large horizontal branch (~18-24" diameter) where a lion has been observed off and on thru the years. This tree is on the edge of a creeklet that forms a nice draw. There have been reports of lions pacing in this area, probably trying to figure out how to get a lamb or goat shank.

Throughout the year at various times the ranch has chickens, turkeys, pygmy goats, market (boer cross) goats, pigs, lambs, rabbits, steer and this year we are adding market calves (almost veal but not that bad). I've been involved for three years here and have heard of no predation. We mostly have problems with rattle snakes and ground squirrels. The steer are out in the wide open. We'll have to see what the calves will get. The other large livestock have at least plywood and chain link enclosures including the tops. The fowl and rabbits are mostly in hutches inside a small building. Though some are outside the building in the larger enclosure.

Actually, one of the kids has a cam that she has had up before, just not right here. I'll have to ask her if she's had it up recently. Maybe I'll get one for myself someday.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Yes "Puma concolor" no claws, just wanted to be sure.....
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

One of lions might be hunted down soon.
Two of our 4H chickens were killed and attempts were made to get at other livestock.
Prints are all over our pen areas, even on top of them. I might be able to get some pics on Wednesday.

A family went out a few nites ago about 7pm to check on a pregnant goat and when they drove up were greeted by a collared lion. They got to about 10 feet with the car and it did not move. Finally, it did after a toot of the horn; but stayed within the area of the pens while the family was there for about half an hour before running out into the bush. This lion is showing no fear of people.

Someone (DF&G probably, but maybe USFWS; woman not clear of who) is coming out today to inspect and most likely issue a depradation permit. Relocation is not a viable possibility as it was stated that liability for that lion's actions would transfer to our club for moving it.

Oddly enough, DF&G (or whoever she spoke to) knows who is tracking this lion by it's collar; but won't connect us. We would really like to know if this lion is residing on/near the property and how often. Given the size of lions areas; it is probably one of its many hangouts; but we'd like to know more.

If I find out more, I'll let you know.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Little Known Fact About Chantry Flat:

When the picnic area at Chantry Flat was expanded and "improved" in 2005 (actually much longer due to road issues) the Forest Service hired a contractor to do the work. Steve Rogers (S.E. Rogers & Co.) did the work and he is a good guy. He took the place, and the people, to heart.

To the point, Steve imprinted genuine animal tracks in the concrete walkways at Chantry. These were taken from molds of the tracks of Mountain Lion, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Raccoon, Gray Fox, Skunk etc...

The complete set cost around $1,500. It came with left & right tracks for each animal, marked with arrows in the direction of travel, and spacing directions to make sure they would be true to life. Steve asked me to get a horseshoe from the barn, and if you look in the concrete walkway from the pack station to the restroom, you will see where a phantom horse ran through. There is also a spot where my Queensland Heeler, named Sarge, ran through the wet concrete and Steve told his guys to leave the prints.

That is a long and reminiscent way of saying that one can see representative prints of the common San Gabriel Mountain mammals at any time at Chantry Flat.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

PackerGreg wrote:Little Known Fact About Chantry Flat:

When the picnic area at Chantry Flat was expanded and "improved" in 2005 (actually much longer due to road issues) the Forest Service hired a contractor to do the work. Steve Rogers (S.E. Rogers & Co.) did the work and he is a good guy. He took the place, and the people, to heart.

To the point, Steve imprinted genuine animal tracks in the concrete walkways at Chantry. These were taken from molds of the tracks of Mountain Lion, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Raccoon, Gray Fox, Skunk etc...

The complete set cost around $1,500. It came with left & right tracks for each animal, marked with arrows in the direction of travel, and spacing directions to make sure they would be true to life. Steve asked me to get a horseshoe from the barn, and if you look in the concrete walkway from the pack station to the restroom, you will see where a phantom horse ran through. There is also a spot where my Queensland Heeler, named Sarge, ran through the wet concrete and Steve told his guys to leave the prints.

That is a long and reminiscent way of saying that one can see representative prints of the common San Gabriel Mountain mammals at any time at Chantry Flat.
Well, I say "thumbs up" to S.E. Rogers & Co.! :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Rumpled - PM sent.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

@ Cougarmagic

I like the new tag line. I can't believe the fuss that was had over your cameras. You're probably looking at me right now, aren't you?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

PackerGreg wrote:You're probably looking at me right now, aren't you?
Yes, yes ....now that my cover is blown, I must admit - I've been tracking your movements for quite some time now, and making regular reports to Jody Noiron! :lol:

(this is a JOKE folks!)