Ski Hut, 19 Dec 2009, now I have seen everything

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Went up the Ski Hut Trail on Saturday intending to summit, but heel blisters emerged inside my new boots, and I decided it was a good opportunity to develop some callouses, so turned around at the Ski Hut before the blisters got worse.

Many Koreans at the Ski Hut. I don't remember seeing so many during past winters. Winter Koreans seem to be friendlier and more outgoing than Koreans the rest of the year, but then my dog, Cisco, is a bit of an ice-breaker. When the Koreans found out he was a Jindo (the national dog of Korea), they got very excited and talkative.

On the other hand, I know a few Koreans personally and as I recall winter is their favorite time of year anyway. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but it gets butt-cold in Korea in winter.

Heading back down the trail I could see Manker Flats from far above, and noticed no fewer than two parties down there dragging their red snow discs up the gravel slopes. I had never seen gravel sledding before.

I guess they drove up to Manker for some winter fun, and weren't going to allow the absence of any snow spoil their day.

I spent the night at the Buckhorn Lodge and watched Jesse Unruh's widow (the owner of the Buckhorn Lodge) sing with the Buckhorn Boys for back-up.

Moar photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 038717172/
Nunc est bibendum
mve

Post by mve »

simonov wrote:Went up the Ski Hut Trail on Saturday intending to summit, but heel blisters emerged inside my new boots, and I decided it was a good opportunity to develop some callouses, so turned around at the Ski Hut before the blisters got worse.
Hi Mitch,

What boots did you get? I had a similar problem with my new winter boots (La Sportiva Nepal EVO) last hike up to Baldy. What's interesting is that they did much better on the South Fork and Sand Stone Peak hikes where I through I broke them in. I guess Baldy is the true test for any pair of boots at least here in So Cal.

When I got home I experimented with various lacing, socks, Superfeet insoles and tongue inserts (came with my boots) ...

And I came to a conclusion that in terms of socks less is better for me -- I dumped my mountaineering socks in favor of hikers. I also lifted and effectively locked my heel with Orange Superfeet and then further locked the foot with tongue inserts -- so far so good but that's at home, gotta get out there again and try it on some steep stuff with crampons.
norma r

Post by norma r »

simonov wrote:Many Koreans at the Ski Hut. I don't remember seeing so many during past winters.
that's interesting. i did Baldy via the Bear Flat Trail from the village yesterday and while up there we noticed the parking lot at Ice House Canyon was nearly empty. last winter when i would hike up IHC it was always packed with Koreans. maybe they are favoring Baldy right now. i dunno?
Tim

Post by Tim »

That gravel sledding is hilarious! Not too bright, but you have to admire their determination. Well maybe not...that's actually just plain stupid haha.

I think I briefly passed you and your companion on the trail early that morning. I didn't recognize you at all with that beard. The wind was howling down low but by the time we reached the summit it was just a pleasant breeze.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Sorry we didn't connect, Tim. Yes, I'm experimenting with a beard again. I find all those white whiskers a little hard to believe.

My boots are just new (first new pair since 1982), and I need to get callouses in the right places before they will be optimal. Saturday was actually kind of nice, since I felt the blisters coming in, but didn't do enough climbing for it to be a problem. That should assist callous development.
Nunc est bibendum