Warning signs

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Saw this in an avalanche safety book:

The one with the skull and crossbones is sweet!! I love the extra zinger: THIS IS YOUR DECISION.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

X-TR3333333333333333333M!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Was that Vail?

It was the only place I've been (not all that many) that allowed you to leave a ski area. Gate and everything. Everywhere else I've been you had to duck a rope.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Not sure exactly but it's in Utah (Summit County). I've been to a few Utah resorts and a lot of them have these backcountry gates.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Are you sure it's Utah?

Summit County in CO has at least four ski areas and UT's Summit County has at least three.
Tim

Post by Tim »

That's still 42% odds it's in Utah :D

The book says it's in Utah, but didn't name the resort. Apparently it's at The Canyons.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... n11499795/
SNYDERVILLE, Summit County -- A massive avalanche Friday near The Canyons Resort may have claimed at least two and perhaps as many as five lives.

If confirmed, the deaths would bring the season's avalanche death toll to the highest recorded in contemporary Utah history.

After a 3 1/2-hour search Friday that yielded no results, crews were scheduled to return to the snow-packed mountainside at 9 a.m. today after a 7 a.m. briefing.

More than 100 rescue workers, dogs and ski patrol members, many of the latter from nearby resorts, scoured the site Friday in what began as a rescue operation but soon became a recovery operation.

The huge slide, triggered about 1:30 p.m., measured 400 to 500 yards across at a depth of 16 to 30 feet -- Summit County's largest in five years, officials said.

"It sounded like the whole mountain was coming down," said Layton resident C.J. Harris, 18, who was snowboarding with his family.

The avalanche occurred in a backcountry area called Dutch Draw on federal land, just east of The Canyons' highest chairlift, the Ninety Nine 90 Express. A swinging gate marked, "You can die, this is your decision," greets thrill-seekers before they choose to go out of bounds.

Harris said getting to that backcountry area requires a hike to the marked gate that allows access. Since the area is not on resort property, The Canyons does not patrol the area or provide avalanche- control efforts.

"They were somewhere they just shouldn't have been," said Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds, whose agency is heading up rescue efforts.

Avalanche danger is extremely high in Summit County right now, he said, and people should stay out of the backcountry because there have been numerous avalanches over the past several days.