Angeles Crest Highway drive: 12-06-2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Drove up the ACH this fine Sunday afternoon. The roads will be closed starting at 5:00 pm today due to the incoming storm so I took the chance to see the forest for the first time since the Station Fire. Amazing, spectacular, devastating, beautiful...

Pics.

It's fascinating to see all sorts of stuff I've never seen before - trails, old road beds, rock formations, ridges - now exposed and brush free! It's like a brand new playground! But at what cost? Hmmm.

The gate up to Barley Flats was open, but I didn't drive all the way up to see what, if anything, has happened to the facilities up there. I was afraid they'd lock the gates while I was up there.

Had some delicious chili at Newcombs. They are running off of two generators because the power lines burned and have been told the power won't be back up until spring. Telephone lines still work though. They are shutting down at 5pm today also, after being open since last Monday.

Stopped at the turnout for Switzer Falls to take some pictures. A ranger writing tickets for a couple of unattended vehicles pointed at the sign and said "I'd advise you to get back in your car." I asked if I could take a couple of pictures and got no response, but maybe he didn't hear me...or maybe he did. Either way, I got back in my car and left. This was the sign he pointed at...

Rime ice forming at Eaton Saddle...
...and around Three Points...

A bridge down in the Arroyo that survived...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Thanks for taking those photos. I went up Saturday, and had my camera, but didn't take anything. I just observed.

It definitely snowed last night - I didn't see any of the rime ice, and not nearly as much snow yesterday. That's cool.

I also noticed that they have bulldozed berms at some trailheads, like Colby...kinda weird - like, is that really going to stop someone? I stopped at Clear Creek station to look down into the Arroyo - there was a ranger there, but he didn't say anything to me. The guy who told you to get back in your car seems a little overzealous - we can't even look at it?? Oh well....

Upper Big T is much, much worse than Angeles Crest.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Some of these pictures look like they are taken straight out of some middle east country. just bare mountains.
it seems like all the burned areas will look pretty gnarly looking with snow. like a dead winter land.
Tim

Post by Tim »

HikeUp wrote:A ranger writing tickets for a couple of unattended vehicles pointed at the sign and said "I'd advise you to get back in your car." I asked if I could take a couple of pictures and got no response, but maybe he didn't hear me...or maybe he did. Either way, I got back in my car and left.

What a jerk! If he wrote you a ticket, he'd be the one breaking the law! Along with the ten essentials, always carry with you a copy of the TITLE VIII--FEDERAL LANDS RECREATION ENHANCEMENT ACT, then remind him of Section 3.1.F: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/program ... ation.html

If he can't understand that, then print out this webpage and point to the paragraph at the bottom: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/welcome.shtml
Since these are recreation "use" fees and not fees for "entry" to the national forest, no pass is required for travel through, nor for activities that are "incidental" to thru-travel, such as stopping to take a photograph, use of developed overlooks or use of a restroom.
Unless the stopping at an overlook is considered a violation of the fire order? Weird.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

I, too, drove the crest yesterday then hiked BP.
Like CougarMagic, my camera remained in it's bag...
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Guess yesterday was a popular day for a drive. I drove the ACH as well (to Vincent gap and back) and had lunch at Newcombs. Despite the devastation I too found myself somewhat excited to see things I'd never seen before. At times things looked so different I didn't even recognize where I was.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I watched football, but I was on the ACH in spirit
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I too drove Highway 2 on Saturday from La Canada Flintridge to Vincent Saddle and back, camera at the ready. I really wanted to look down Devil's Canyon while this was still possible. No contact with USFS personnel.

Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

From what I understand, the current ticketing issue isn't the Adventure Pass issue. Look at the bottom sign on there. The forest area is closed.
The roads have been opened (barring futher storm or other closures) to traffic only - no stopping.
I was wondering how enforcement would go.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Rumpled wrote:From what I understand, the current ticketing issue isn't the Adventure Pass issue. Look at the bottom sign on there. The forest area is closed.
The roads have been opened (barring futher storm or other closures) to traffic only - no stopping.
I was wondering how enforcement would go.
I think that's the deal - no stopping allowed as part of the fire closure. Why they have to beat around the bush and go on about 'safety' and 'recovery' instead of just coming out and explicitly stating what they want (i.e. "Emergency Stopping Only") is irritating.