Baldy via Backbone, 1/19 - 1/20

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Got an nice late start to this overnighter to Harwood/Baldy (set out from the lifts ~ 1PM) along with Dustin.

The snow was hard and crusty thanks to recent weather, and the going was easy. The only sketchy part was where the trail traverses that little "minibowl" before you get to Harwood (an earlier pic for reference: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/ ... G_0453.jpg)...

There was much more snow, and it was loose as hell. No discernable trail, so we had to stomp one out on the way in.

Once past that point we ran into a lone snowshoer on his way back to the Notch, who inquired as to whether one of us had a satphone. Turns out, his buddy took a header down the east bowl, down that main draw that points directly to the summit of Harwood). He wasn't injured, but could not climb back up. While the slope looked quite doable for crampons/ice axes, these dudes were rocking rented snowshoes and one trekking pole apiece on their first time on that trail - I think they went Falls to Baldy to Backbone.

So it fell upon Dustin to head straight to Harwood to chase down a cell signal from the high desert to call 911, while I dropped down lower to check on the hiker, named Greg. I offered to run up and grab Dustin's ice axe and crampons for him, but he said he didn't think it'd help and he'd just wait for SAR.

Cut to an hour or so later, and the Sheriffs put a couple helicopters on Harwood. Chatted them up to fill them in, and they took off down the mountain to snag him off that slope (which was cool as hell - pics and vids to follow). Didn't get to see the rescue itself, as we were running out of daylight to make camp at the saddle.

The rest is pretty much normal - no winds at night, but it was ridiculously cold. Tagged the summit in the morning, then hightailed it back to the Notch.

BTW, if anybody knows Greg Morton, I picked up his trekking pole he lost on that little slip 'n slide.

pics to follow..
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice job on the assist Bert, Dustin!
Glad there was a happy ending.
:D

Was it this chute?
Looking forward to the pix ...
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Wow Bert, that must have been quite a sight! Hope he is alright.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Dayum!

Hope all is well. Awaiting footage. 8)
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Video of the Sheriff's helicopter taking off from atop Harwood down to the stranded hiker. Didn't get a shot of the actual rescue, as we were trying to hustle over to the saddle with enough daylight to make camp.

EDIT: Fritz - yeah, that's the same one. The guy slid a couple hundred yards down, to the end of that rocky left-right ridge in the picture. I was able to climb down that ridge to within talking distance, but I guess he was too shaken from the fall and subsequent failed attempts to walk back up that he decided not to try anymore.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Harumph.

Hope you guys had a good time and yelled ICE PIRATES enough.
He219

Post by He219 »

Interesting.
I assumed the rescue guys would have first sent a man down to steady the victim from the helo's downdraft.
Instead it looks like they just hovered over him and hoisted him in.

Thanks for the video Bert!
:)
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Some pics:

Home sweet home - dipped into the teens during the night, with no wind.

Current Bowl condition.

Summit shot, of course. Light wind from the south.

USA! USA! USA!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

BEST.
PHOTO.
EVER.
He219

Post by He219 »

Bert FTW!!
:D
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Here's Dustin's:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

What's the story behind that giant pile of sammiches at the lodge? :lol:
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

What, this?

Haha, yeah, a big group of middle eastern folk were at the notch, and they set up a turkey sangwich assembly line right there on the tables. They also brought their own hot chocolate dispensers.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HAH! You shoulda gone over htere with an empty plate and stood there in line... "what? I'm hungry!"
heme11

Post by heme11 »

bert you copy my picha style!

simonov

Post by simonov »

bertfivesix wrote:Cut to an hour or so later, and the Sheriffs put a couple helicopters on Harwood. Chatted them up to fill them in, and they took off down the mountain to snag him off that slope (which was cool as hell - pics and vids to follow). Didn't get to see the rescue itself, as we were running out of daylight to make camp at the saddle.
These helicopter rescues are getting to be chronic. Yesterday I was walking up a stream in the Santa Monica Mountains when suddenly we saw no less than three choppers flying around a couple ridges to the west of us. Some people from our group were closer to the action and later told us a woman was air evacuated from a jeep-accessible area because she had sprained her ankle. Seriously, this was certainly within 1,000 yards of a 7-Eleven.
Nunc est bibendum
Travis

Post by Travis »

Here is a Trip Report from the guy who was resuced.

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... riend.html

Quote from the TR:
"Not long after I spoke with emergency services, a voice on the ridge above yelled out my name. I replied, and the climber asked if I was ok. Indeed I was. I don’t know his name, but the brief moment he and I spoke I felt a level of comfort I had not felt since falling. He told me to sit tight and said that he would wait there until help arrived. I discovered later that my friend encountered two climbers on his way down the Backbone, and they volunteered to help me in any way they could. The person I spoke with was one of the two. I don’t know who they are, but feel grateful for the way they treated my friend on the trail, and for their concern for me down below. If I have the opportunity to find them, it would be my pleasure to buy us all a round of beer."
Uncle Man

Post by Uncle Man »

I first have to say thanks for your help. I see that Travis has given you guys the link to my post on SP, so you should already know that I'm offering to buy you two a beer. I'd like to set that up. I figure it is the least I could do. Contact me if you are interested...

There were a number of rescues that day on Baldy. One member of the SBSAR was one of them, and as I understand it he was hurt pretty good. Not seriously, but hurt nonetheless. The following Sunday and Monday saw activity as well. I was visiting with the guys from SBSAR that Monday, to say thanks in person, and they were getting called out while I was there.

Your trip report and pictures are great. Though it wasn't my first choice to be pulled out like that, I have to say the helo ride was pretty cool.