La Jolla Canyon in Point Mugu State Park, 29 Nov 2009

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
simonov

Post by simonov »

WARNING: illegal outdoor activity.

This weekend I wanted to get out to the San Gabes to hike in the snow, but was frightened off by the wind predictions. So as an alternative, I drove out past Malibu to do a little exploring in the Point Mugu State Park.

For medical reasons I can't leave my dog alone these days, so he had to come with me. California state parks are notoriously anti-dog, but there was nothing about dogs on the Point Mugu State Park website. However, once we got to the parking lot and trailhead, there were No Dogs on Trail signs everywhere. We had no choice, of course, so we brought Cisco with us. We assumed there wasn't any budget this year for ranger patrols on the trails.

There were also one or two small, obscure signs noting that self-registration was required for parking, and a self-registration kiosk was secreted away at the far end of the parking lot. We didn't notice any of these, so cleverly were they positioned. Very shrewd. Instead of paying the state $5 or $10 to park, we got a $68 citation. At least one state agency is taking California's budget problems seriously.

We took the Ray Miller Trail up to the top of the ridge dividing La Jolla Canyon from the aptly-named Sycamore Canyon, to where it joins the Overlook Fire Road, a climb of something over 900 feet. It's a good trail, well-used and well-maintained, but strangely enough we didn't see many people on the trail on this very fine holiday weekend in autumn. We couldn't imagine a better time to do this hike. In the summer, despite its proximity to ocean breezes, it would seem like a hot hike. On the other hand, in early spring the grass will be green and flowers will be in bloom. Still, I was surprised by the relative solitude we enjoyed (though a group of eight had their hike ruined because, lacking a designated sweep, one of their members took a wrong turn somewhere and they had to spend the rest of the hike trying to find her).

From the ridge you have fine views of three of the Channel Islands, as well as a dramatic prominence called Boney Mountain.

As we continued along the Overlook Fire Road we saw the military missile tracking facilities on Laguna Peak rising in the near distance:

Our destination for lunch was the La Jolla Canyon walk-in trail camp, a really very nice glade of huge, ancient live oaks with a couple of picnic benches, real luxury compared to most wilderness trail camps.

There are hose bibs at the camp, but no water comes out of them. I wondered whether you can get the water turned on by making a reservation for the camp. If so, this would be an ideal trail camp for kids. Otherwise, you have to pack in all your water a little over five miles (via the Ray Miller Trail; it's much shorter if you come up the steep and rocky La Jolla Canyon Trail, which is how we came out).

After lunch, we started down the La Jolla Canyon trail straight for the parking lot. This was a short cut. You can also take the trail further west where it loops around and then back to the La Jolla Canyon trail, but we didn't want to spend all day out here. The trail follows a streambed down to the ocean, quite dry right now, though I don't know whether it gets water in the spring. Some of the canyon walls are quite dramatic:

Plus there is a 20' waterfall (also dry):

We really enjoyed this hike, and will be coming back to these Santa Monica Mountains again in the future. It's a great area for winter hiking with people who are allergic to snow and cold. And there is no doubt kids would really enjoy playing and climbing on those trees at the La Jolla Canyon trail camp.

Moar photos.
Nunc est bibendum
kgw

Post by kgw »

Great place. We stay at Big Sycamore campground in the early spring. Last year the canyon camp was full, so we ended up at Thornehill-Broom on the ocean side. You want to stay at the nw end of this campground, practically across from the La Jolla Canyon entrance. There are large bushes that shield you from other campers and the wind. You can walk thru a stream drainage under PCH to reach La Jolla Canyon.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Siminov,

Bittersweet TR though beautiful pictures!

I call the Point Mugu State Park my backyard since i live only a few miles away and hike there often. Yes, you're right about it being hot in the summer. A couple months ago on a really hot day i suggested a morning hike with friends up the Ray Miller trail to the cliff that paralells PCH from La Jolla Cyn to Sycamore Cyn. Thinking that if we stayed as close to the coast as possible it would be a little cooler. Not!

Do come back in March when the grass is green and the wildflowers are in their glory. La Jolla Valley is so beautiful and in the spring it is The Jewel that is was so aptly named.

Dang, sorry about the parking ticket! I always park on PCH to escape the fee, but make sure if you do, that you don't park next to a cliff. Rockfall happens too often and it's worse to find rocks on your car compared to a ticket. The first time i ever hiked through Sycamore Cyn to the beach was with my dog. We did encounter a ranger upon the completion of the hike at the campground and received a warning but thankfully no citation.

Your TR made me go back and look at photos from a hike i did in March '08. I had not looked at them in a long time and they are mostly flower shots, but here is a link in case you are interested.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... ValleyHike#
simonov

Post by simonov »

norma r wrote:Your TR made me go back and look at photos from a hike i did in March '08. I had not looked at them in a long time and they are mostly flower shots, but here is a link in case you are interested.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... ValleyHike#
Thanks for the link. We will definitely get back out there in March, perhaps as an overnight with some of the local kids.
Nunc est bibendum