Are there any other events like the Mount Baldy Run?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I did not know about the Mount Baldy event until I read Augie's excellent Trip Report: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... e-Top.html.

Are there any other event like this in the San Gabriel Mnts? I would like to post such events here.

Travis
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Trail runs I've heard of...

Mt. Disappointment 50k

Mt. Wilson Trail Race

Angeles Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run

It is safe to say I won't be doing any of them. :?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

The answer is "yes." Here are a few:

Mt. Wilson Trail Race (Sierra Madre to Orchard Camp and back on Mt. Wilson Trail, 5.6 mi) -- 5/31/08

Mt. Disappointment 50/50 Eudurance Runs (50 km and 50 mi) -- 8/9/08

Angeles Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run -- 9/13/08
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hey, Hike Up. We were working on the same list at the same time, but you were noticeably quicker on the trigger. My hat's off to you. :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Heh. Oops. :D

You provided more detail, so more style points for you!
Augie

Post by Augie »

The 100 mile Angeles Crest race starts in Wrightwood and towards the end comes through Millard Campground and on to the finish near Devil's Gate Dam. Needless to say, this is a beast of singular character as far as trail races go.

The Mt. Disappointment 50K was run for the first time last year. I'm am tempted to enter this year. It starts and ends on Mt. Wilson's summit. That means the last several miles of the race are all uphill.

The Mt. Wilson Trail Race, held every Memorial Day weekend for decades, is grueling but fun. It starts at the courtyard in downtown Sierra Madre and proceeds to the Mt. Wilson trailhead and on to Orchard Camp where the turnaround is. Then back to downtown. It is 8.6 miles in total.

I ran the Baldy Peaks 50K in 2004. It has not been run for the past two years and I don't know whether it will be staged again. It was always staged end-July and always limited to 6o runners. The route is: starts at IceHouse Canyon parking lot; proceeds to Baldy Village to pick up the Village Trail to Baldy's summit; run back over Devil's Backbone to the notch and then the fireroad all the way down to Manker Flats Campground. Turn around here and go back up the fireroad to pick up the Ski Hut Trail. Summit Baldy for the 2d time and then return to the notch where you ascend the road to Thunder Mtn. From Thunder back down to the notch and the fireroad and then the street all the way back to Ice Canyon parking lot. Just under 32 miles with 11,000-12,000 feet of gain. Took me 9 hrs. and 40 minutes. It's a bitch I tell ya!

Mountain Impulse
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Is there a website for the Baldy run?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

KathyW wrote:Is there a website for the Baldy run?
Yes.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks Alan - I was looking for the results and now I have them - 1:10.04 to 3:50.29

I'm trying to do some trail running lately but I'm still mostly walking more than running on the uphill - I'd love to eventually be able to do the Baldy Run, but I've got work to do to get to that point.
Augie

Post by Augie »

KathyW wrote:Thanks Alan - I was looking for the results and now I have them - 1:10.04 to 3:50.29

I'm trying to do some trail running lately but I'm still mostly walking more than running on the uphill - I'd love to eventually be able to do the Baldy Run, but I've got work to do to get to that point.
Kathy,

You could do real well in this event just power-walking the whole way. In fact, it's always kind of amusing to see good power walkers literally blowing by people who are running but at an extremely slow pace.

You live in Redlands so there are plenty of hills. Going up Cajon past Highland is good because of the moderate slope. Steeper yet is cutting up to Sunset. You'll also be getting in shape for the Half-Marathon they have in Redlands every April. It's a beautiful course, especially along Sunset and then you get to fly downhill to the Bowl.

Have a little plan for your training regimen, even if each session is only sketched out in your head. Don't run without a plan to build up your mileage. Have fun. It's always great to feel those endorphins after a good workout.

Mountain Impulse
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Augie: Thanks for the suggestions. I pulled up the Redlands Half-Marathon Course - I think I'll start doing my after work runs along parts of it until I can do the whole thing.

Kathy
Janice

Post by Janice »

Hi Kathy W. I happened to browse your website. All I can say is WOW!!! You have one of the most extensive list of hikes I've ever seen. And not the same hike over and over again like some people tend to do. Good job, you're my hero, and good luck on future hikes. I'm sure there will be many. Did I remember to say WOW!!!
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks Janice. I love sharing my pictures with others. I find the online pictures that everyone else posts really help provide ideas for trips and information on routes to take up a mountains; so I hope mine do the same. I like new challenges and scenery - I don't tend to like to repeat a hike too often unless it's one of the mountains that is a quick drive from home - I've repeated the hikes to Mount Baldy, Mount San Gorgonio and Mount San Jacinto many times for the sake of trying to keep my old short legs in shape for those advertures further from home. I just don't upload pictures too often of repeat hikes in the local mountains, so they don't show up on my smugmug site. There's certainly nothing wrong with repeating a hike/climb.