Bridge to Nowhere, 22 Nov

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Believe it or not, I had never been to the Bridge to Nowhere. Somehow it never sounded like an attractive hike, it being such low elevation and all, and I hate getting my feet wet, though the bridge itself has long (like for almost 30 years) fascinated me. So when Ingrid invited me along for a hike she planned on Sunday I finally took a crack at it.

My dog Cisco has a hotspot problem these days so I can't leave him alone for very long, which meant he had to come along. Since he is a stubborn, contrary dog, this meant it was going to be a complicated day, particularly with all the stream crossings we had to do. In fact, the nine mile round trip hike took us about eight hours. Whoa.

Despite the low elevation, the scenery is quite beautiful, with desert-like plants growing alongside the East Fork River in a deep gorge surrounded by high desolate cliffs. We started the hike at Heaton Flats with booties on Cisco:

However, after a few stream crossings Cisco decided he didn't want to wear the booties and he conducted a sit-down strike until I removed them. Here is Cisco on strike:

This is the kind of shit he pulls on hikes, which makes him not such a wonderful hiking partner.

Once I removed the booties, he pranced along just fine, for a while anyway.

It was a busy trail, with something like forty people part of a Bungee America group heading to the bridge for some bungee jumping. The trail itself gets washed out every year, apparently, so it was hard to follow in places and we had to backtrack a few times. Still the scenery was lovely:

The best way to get across the stream (there were about a half dozen crossings each way) is to just forget about stepping stones or logs and get your feet wet. I had waterproofed my boots the night before, so my feet stayed dry unless the water came in over the tops of the boots. The best footwear for this hike would be some kind of non-waterproof trail shoes that allowed the water to flow in and out, though with feet like mine you appreciate the firm sole support of mountaineering boots, especially when crossing over rocky streambeds. A lot ofthe bungee jumpers were wearing Vans, and it made my toes curl just thinking about how that must feel. But aside from the streambeds and a few short talus slopes, the trail is very smooth and mild, mostly dirt or sand. Nice.

We got to the bridge just as the bungee jumping started:

I read about a 16.5 mile through trip one can do from Vincent Gap down through the Narrows and out to Heaton Flats. I'd like to try that someday. Without the dog.

On our way back we tried to stay on a higher trail that ran along the eastern slope of the gorge, but at one point we found ourselves stuck about 50 feet up a cliff with the trail in front of us completely washed out. It was quite an adventure getting Cisco down that cliff. I had my hands full at the time, so didn't take any photos, but I got a shot of the cliff from below:

At the bottom of the cliff we took a break next to a quiet pool where golden trout frolicked:

By the time we had done ten or so stream crossings, Cisco finally figured out that the best way to get across was simply to get his feet wet and just wade through the channel. This made stream crossings a lot easier, towards the end.

We finally got back to the car at almost 6:30pm, as it was getting dark. Almost all the bungee jumpers were still well behind us on the trail, very few of them properly equipped for backcountry travel. It got cold as soon as the sun disappeared (it sure was cold in the morning when we started), and I wondered how many flashlights there were in their party. Anyway, it was nice to remove our boots and squeeze the water out of our socks and rest up for the evening drive back down the mountain.

Moar photos here.
Nunc est bibendum
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I have never done this hike either. Thanks for the report. It will make a good guide.
norma r

Post by norma r »

there is a fascination with that bridge that exists in the middle of nowhere. everyone should get out there at least once.

i hiked it on a day that reached 80+ degrees and enjoyed the water crossings and relaxing at the pools of water just beyond the bridge. wish every hike had a clean pool of water to soak yourself or your feet in while having lunch! on the way back we too stayed high on the east and also got cliffed-out. best part of the hike out was finding another cool swimming hole and going for a swim which made the remainder of the hike more bearable.

next time i want to bungee.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

norma r wrote:next time i want to bungee.
I will gladly carry your gear just to come watch you do it :D and take pictures, I'm not sure I will ever do something like that even though it sounds like fun, I have this crazy fear of free falling :shock:
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Sounds like a nice day. It seems like that trail gets better and better as winter approaches. What little leaves there are turn color, and most of the messy gold miners are away. I love to see dogs having such a fun time there, so much for them to do.
The narrows to vincent gap takes all day in the summer. the trail dissappears, and there are a ton of random historic sites like mine camps and washed down clothes. I'd like to go all the way up one day. Post something up if anyone is hiking up in the future.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Very nice pictures and cool dog.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

lilbitmo wrote:
norma r wrote:next time i want to bungee.
I will gladly carry your gear just to come watch you do it :D and take pictures, I'm not sure I will ever do something like that even though it sounds like fun, I have this crazy fear of free falling :shock:
I'm with you, Patrick. She asked me along on a trip last year to bungee jump and I said, why the hell would I jump off a perfectly good bridge? :? Plus I was afeared that me two spinal fusions would let go :shock:
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Thanks for the very nice trip report and pictures. I can never get enough of the East Fork. B.T.N. is also nice 'cause less serious hikers can usually be convinced to take the journey, with the definite destination in mind. Cisco's really handsome too, and sounds like quite the character.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Hope Cisco didn't romp in the late season P.O.!
That would make this a hike you will never forget...
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Nice photos. It looks really scenic in there.