Mountain Lion sighted near JPL: 2008-01-16

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Friends at JPL in Pasadena have forwarded pictures to me of a mountain lion seen "below the bridge coming into the east lot around 8:55 this morning" (Wed. Jan. 16th). This is in the Arroyo Seco area of the San Gabriels.

I will try to post the pictures. I certainly wouldn't want to see this guy on the trails.

This is second hand information, that I have not independently verified, so please correct or add information if needed.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I am at JPL. Matt Dickie in our lab sent around 3 pictures of the lion. He saw it at 8:55 AM today as he was walking over the bridge that leads from the East Lot to the lab. It was in the arroyo under the bridge.

FWIW, Matt Dickie completed the Angeles Crest 100 this year. Without getting eaten by a lion. :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That's a mountain lion all right.

I've read that a lot of mtn lion sightings are a case of mis-identification. No doubt on this one, though.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:I've read that a lot of mtn lion sightings are a case of mis-identification. No doubt on this one, though.
It's true -- some people are prone to exaggeration. We wouldn't pull your chain that way, though! :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for posting Alan (I thought I had heard you worked there, but I wasn't sure).

Big pointy teeth too, I imagine.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:Thanks for posting Alan (I thought I had heard you worked there, but I wasn't sure).

Big pointy teeth too, I imagine.
I imagine the same thing, although I don't believe that anyone checked.

With all of the deer that roam around the Lab, I would think that the local cats are well-fed and don't see much need to resort to scrawny humans. Which comes as a relief to those who run in the Arroyo regularly. :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AlanK wrote:Which comes as a relief to those who run in the Arroyo regularly.
My better half runs in the Arroyo a lot. This past Sunday she was startled by the yelping of a pack of coyotes less than 50 feet away in the bushes - probably celebrating a kill. That along with today's lion sighting has her re-evaluating her choice of routes to say the least.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

This story was in today's LA Times, complete with one of Matt Dickie's pictures.
justinjohnsen

Post by justinjohnsen »

First time I noticed this thread since it was moved in here.

The photo was awesome, thanks for sharing.

For me, seeing predators (especially mammals) at work has given me some of the biggest highs of my time outdoors. As a lifelong reader of zoology textbooks and field guides, my personal list of wildlife sightings is more rewarding than my best hikes and climbs.

For those who might fear the tiny predators of the California mountains, I recommend Tom Chester's excellent analysis of the chances of animal attacks.

While exotic ideas like getting eaten by wild animals are unfamiliar, and can have a larger than life emotional impact on us, statistics point out the real dangers. Driving to the trail head is the most dangerous part of any hike or trail run. No animal is near as likely to harm or kill us as one of our own species.

Preparing for the danger of animal attacks is no different than preparing for the dangers of driving, the dangers of our specific outdoors sports, or attacks by other people. You just consider the common hazards that come with your particular environment, and mitigate them as best possible without letting the fear cripple your enjoyment of life.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hand written sign (dated April 2nd) seen yesterday at Millard Campground on the northern edge of Altadena.

MoonThion (aka Mountain Lion :)) activity...
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Quite a few mountain lions have been sighted recently. Last week, one was accidently killed by DFG in La Verne when they were attempting transport of the cat.
http://www.sgvtribune.com/rds_search/ci_9189200

Bradbury Estates and Marshall Canyon have also had recent sightings.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks for the updates. It's important to know what's going on with something like this, particularly if you have a very petite wife. :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Of course, I'm much more worried about this savage mountain denizen:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Tankcat will destroy your lol
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

taco? do you light your cats farts?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

My cat runs on JP8. No light needed.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Shizen! Now cut that out. I just hit my shoulder when I fell on the floor 'cause I was freakin' laughing so hard.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Of course, I'm much more worried about this savage mountain denizen:
I think I've found a reasonable way to protect my self from the savage mountain cat shown above...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

This thread is now about cats.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

TacoDelRio wrote:This thread is now about cats.
YEAH!

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

It's important to know how to handle big cats. It appears that there is a general consenus about the best way:
Tim

Post by Tim »

135driver

Post by 135driver »

I've only seen a black bear running away from me (downhill by the way) while mt biking in johnsons pasture above claremont. Never seen bobcats or mt. lions.

P.S. That's why I don't surf. Deathly afraid of being eaten by a Great White!!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

FIGHT ON wrote:Image
Smells like berries???? Smells like pepper????? Smells like s**t!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Dude? What are you talkin about?
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HEY! Some of them mountain lion tracks I've seen are pretty ding dang bigasaurus! I know they are out there. And like Taco says. "I refuse to be a victim". My knife is one second away from slicing and dicing. Hopefully I will be able to react correctly if it happens.
Rob

Post by Rob »

So a mountain lion is brown all over and has rounded ears, while a bobcat has some stripes and pointed ears? :?:

In 2002 when we were tent camping in an RV park north of Idyllwild, this critter made himself at home in our campsite. Children tip-toed for a close look; however, he did not eat any of the children. It was a very warm day, and no one, not even this bobcat(?), wanted to do anything. Image

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

cool picture. Look how big the paws are. Awesome!