Sad News - Body found in Bailey Canyon.

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Looks bad -

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_13756001

-------------------

Authorities on Tuesday found a body near a hiking trail in Bailey Canyon Park in Sierra Madre, in the same general area where a hiker went missing, police said.

A vehicle registered to the hiker was discovered about midnight in a parking lot at the park, which is in the 400 block of West Carter Avenue, and a search was initiated, said Elisa Weaver of the Sierra Madre Police Department.

The body of a man in his mid-30s, possibly that of the missing hiker, was discovered some time after daybreak down an embankment near a hiking trail, Weaver said.

The man's name was withheld pending notification of relatives.

----------------------
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Jeebus. Very sad to hear this.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Fell in the area of Needle Falls in Bailey Cyn.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

HikeUp wrote:Fell in the area of Needle Falls in Bailey Cyn.
Needle Falls?

Was he canyoneering?

I read the stuff available but haven't heard more

Matt
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I was just quoting the linked story. There are plenty of places to fall off the Bailey Cyn. Trail, but there is so friggin much brush that it's hard to fall very far and I can't imagine it being fatal. Now if he was off trail and canyoneering, anything is possible. Dunno.
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
City News Service

LOS ANGELES (CNS) -- A man who fell to his death in the Angeles National Forest was identified Tuesday.

Steven Michael Sanders, 35, apparently died of an accident, Ed Winter of the coroner's office said.

"His body was found down the ravine," Winter said.

Sanders' car was found in the parking lot at Bailey Canyon Park in the 400 block of West Carter Avenue late yesterday, said Elisa Weaver of the city of Sierra Madre. The body was found in the Angeles National Forest in the Needle Falls area, which is popular with climbers.

Sanders had had a home address in Valley Village, but he may have been staying in Sierra Madre recently, Winter said.
(Copyright ©2009 by City News Service, Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

HikeUp wrote: Dunno.
http://www.dankat.com/advents/bailey.htm

Ok Ok... whether he was up climbing or descending it appears to me he was canyoneering whether he knew it or not.

I don't know the name... "Steven Michael Sanders" Steve Sanders doesn't ring a bell

Hummm very tragic and a clear illustration (again! :x ) why canyoneering is a team sport

Matt
ducktapeguy

Post by ducktapeguy »

Interesting. I had just come down that canyon two days before he was found.