Cool gadget to track yourself, send and recieve email, make

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

I am ham radio operator, and carry a neat little radio for emergency purposes.
the Yaesu vx-8r

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Di ... Archived=0

It transmits on 4 ham bands 50 mhz, 144 mhz, 220 mhz and 440 mhz plus Family radio service and GMRS and and has built in AM, FM, NOAA weather , shortwave, fire police, full dc to light scanner.
It has a gps receiver, and is equipped with an APRS modem.
What this does is when you turn it on, it uses the built in gps to acquire your position, then it sends out beacon packets to a network of ham radio operators, who gate it to the internet.
I can send and receive email to the internet, send text messages, and when I get home I log on to the WWW. FINDU.COM site and my complete path of hiking , with speed, direction elevation, temp, barometer, is displayed on the web site with maps.
Its kind of like a Spot messenger but with 2 way communications and a receiver that covers every frequency from 500kHz to 999.990MHz
Its mil spec, and waterproof.
the body is magnesium.
its very light and is the size of the palm of your hand.
the aprs tracking service is free, as is all of the messaging and talking, because the networks, and repeaters are created and maintained by hams.
nice to have this in case something goes really wrong.
Or you can just keep it in your pack and leave it off.
There are not very many places Ive been in the San Gabriel or high country that it doesn't work. plus you can use the auto patch on most repeaters to make free phone calls.
The line of site transmissions are no problem for at least 60 to 100 miles.

Ultimate tech toy.
be kind. I'm a nerd.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Nunc est bibendum
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

oh my, this cant be a good response....
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

What kind of license do you need to operate the unit? My fading memory thinks a Technician class where you don't need to know Morse code, but that could have changed since I last read up on it.
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

that's correct, the license required is a technician license, but its very easy to get .
all the questions come, in the book from www.arrl.com as they appear on the test, its just a pool of questions.
the neat thing is how really small and light this radio is.
I only take it with me when I am going somewhere alone or on long remote trips.
I've got a daughter in college, I cant die in the woods until her college is paid for......

And just a note I am not ignorant of the thoughts of escaping technology when you hike, but Ive always thought that I would be silly to not carry a tool like this since I already have it.

plus its kind of cool to have a perfect track of your hike.

but this is not for everyone, I'm sure some will find this repugnant.
And I RESPECT their point of view.

except for that hiker who had to cut his arm off to get out of that slot canyon.
that's why they are called accidents........because no matter how good you are, you don't know when they are going to happen.
I have a tiny inexpensive tracker using aprs technology about the size of a pack of Marlborough cigs, that I put on my aging dog, when we head to the mountains, he tends to explore.
I never want to leave with out him.
I can track him with this radio.
I also have a similar tracker in my truck, It acts as a free lojack, except you dont have to look for it, it tells you exactly where it is. anywhere in the world