Mountaineering Harness

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Tim

Post by Tim »

What are you guys using or recommend for a mountaineering harness? It seems like the only option is the BD Alpine Bod? The guy from the Traditional Mountaineering site seems to like it because it's light and packs small. It doesn't have a belay loop but then I guess this allows you to put it on without having to step through it?

Or do you guys just use a Trad harness? I don't know too much about this stuff.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I like the Alpine Bod, as it's super simple, light, packs down small, and doesn't have stuff you don't need. Plus, $40! I use it for all climbing. Works great for alpine, as you're not hanging much, and you only need it for certain pitches for the most part here in the SG's. Not so hot in Sport, as it hurts to fall on, and you can smash your nuts in any fall with this harness, if you're "not careful".

Anywho...

DMM Couloir, BD Blizzard, and the Mammut Alpine Light are out there. All are more expensive.

*DMM COULOIR: http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDeta ... =7&pid2=69
5 loops, lotsa gear. No personal experience. Judging by the DMM gear I've used, it should kick immense ass.

*BD Blizzard: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0739M.html
More padding. This is a sort of mixed/ice rig, more aimed at sport than mountaineering, not that it can't do that just fine.

*Mammut Alpine Light: http://www.mammut.ch/en/productOverview ... esses.html
Only has two gear loops, which isn't good if you want one harness to do several things. However, it rather helps you get into going light, and carrying less pro and other stuff. That said, 4 loops = superior IMHO, as I can balance my gear, and not have stuff hit my ass while walking on a long traverse, or smack me in the nuts while climbing, etc. No personal experience, though I'd love to try it.

Now, for my BD Alpine Bod, I have a small 6 inch or so (12" sewn) runner that I loop through the crotch belay loop and the swami/belt to use as a normal belay loop. Works fine for me. I'm sure most folks feel more comfortable catching a fall w/o that runner, so a large pear locking biner in normal fashion would do the trick.

*MODS:
-Tape your butt-to-leg adjustment straps once you're adjusted, in any way that makes it impossible for the thin webbing to feed back through the sliders mounted below the belt. If they slide out, you rather humorously hang with one leg up high, or both.
-Fold over and tape the 3/4 inch webbing that leads to the front fastex/side release buckles on the leg loops. I lost a male end of the fastex buckles once, forcing me to knot the webbing in lieu of a buckle.

Oh yeah, one harness I want bigtime is this: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... rness.html
This would be good for folks willing to think out-of-the-comfort-box that so many people reside in. Super light, super simple, convenient and IMHO better than a Swiss Seat, especially for those of us with stuff dangling down there. :lol:
Zach

Post by Zach »

I guess it all comes down to what you're going to be doing. The BD Alpine Bod harness is an excellent harness for roped travel and activities that require less technical climbing. The bod is pretty uncomfortable when it comes to taking a fall or even hanging at a belay. If you're looking to get into some 5th class or ice climbing I'd go with a more traditional harness. Something that will fit over your outerwear and still offer plenty of comfort is better suited. I also found that the bod harness doesn't feel as comfortable when fully loaded with extended draws, cams and carabiners... the trad harnesses with more padding and rigid support/gear loops works better.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Tim wrote:What are you guys using or recommend for a mountaineering harness?
I'm using what I have....

http://snipurl.com/t1yyi

Petzl Canyon harness, bomber construction, very comfy, protects your backside! Literally

Great for sliding on your butt and not tearing up your pants

$95 at REI right now
http://www.rei.com/product/754658

EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

mattmaxon wrote:
Tim wrote: Image
That looks like a cool harness for glissading.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

EnFuego wrote:That looks like a cool harness for glissading.
I'd think so... Imlay Canyon Gear has a "universal" seat

http://imlaycanyongear.com/harn.php

The "Scuttlebutt" is meant to go onto any harness, I like the Petzl better but I do a lot of canyons

Tom Jones stuff is made by canyoneers for canyoneers

The Petzl canyon does fit a wide range of users though and is top quality

Matt
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the info everyone. I mainly just need it for glacier travel. Not sure if I'll be getting into any alpine Class 5, but I sort of want to do some ice climbing and maybe get into sport climbing. So I think I'll go with a BD Momentum SA and just use that for now. Any opinions on that one? If it annoys me too much, I'll keep it for sport climbing and get the Alpine Bod for mountaineering.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Tim wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. I mainly just need it for glacier travel. Not sure if I'll be getting into any alpine Class 5, but I sort of want to do some ice climbing and maybe get into sport climbing. So I think I'll go with a BD Momentum SA and just use that for now. Any opinions on that one? If it annoys me too much, I'll keep it for sport climbing and get the Alpine Bod for mountaineering.
Might be a bit of a PITA to live with, in regards to not being able to disconnect leg loops like alpine harnesses. If yours is the one with adjustable leg loops, should be dandy. I wouldn't bother buying anything new just yet.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I ended up getting the Alpine Bod for $30 with a discount at Backcountry. They have a great return policy. The DMM Super Couloir looks real nice but crap it would have cost me 50 bucks just to ship it from the UK! Too bad.

Now it just needs to SNOW!!

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Wanna go with on some stuff this winter? Show you Snack Shack's steeper brother!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Sure, but I have to get some real mountaineering boots before I tackle anything steep again. I was wearing ghetto backpacking boots in Snack Shack Couloir and my ankles were killing me.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Righto. Get some Trangos or something and we'll be in bizniss.