Sierra Mountaineering Snow Travel course

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I got a call this week from Sierra Mountaineering to alert me that they have posted their course schedule for 2010. I intend to sign up fr the following:
Snow Travel

This course covers the basics of travel on snow. Many trips in the Sierra require traveling on snow, from peak ascents to backpacking journeys routed over passes along the Sierra Crest. Many passes are over 12,000 feet and snow can stay at these elevations through the middle of summer. Techniques practiced include use of an ice axe, efficient methods for walking up and down on snow, cramponing skills, travel roped together with other people, and belaying on snow. This course provides practical knowledge applicable whether you plan on climbing snow covered peaks throughout the year, or your backcountry adventures are mainly during the summer months with an occasional snowfield to negotiate.

Snow Anchors and Crevasse Rescue

Knowledge of building solid anchors on snow and how to set up an effective crevasse rescue system are two essential skills for anyone planning to climb on snowy terrain steep enough warrant placing anchors for protection, or on glaciated routes. We begin with instruction and practice using all types of snow anchors including snow pickets, flukes, ice screws, and bollards. Then we offer suggestions for combining multiple placements into a strong anchor system. Building on this foundation we move into rescue scenarios and practice mechanical advantage pulley systems including the “C” 2:1, “Z” 3:1, and the “C on a Z” 6:1. This course is equally applicable to people new to snow and ice mountaineering, and to more experienced climbers wishing to review their skills and learn the latest in equipment and techniques for use on an upcoming climb.

Cost:

$120 if combined with Snow Travel School ($240 total for the 2 day Snow Travel/Anchors & Crevasse)

**If you have had Snow Travel, you can take just the Anchors class during a Snow Travel weekend for the $120 price-Call our office for more info.

Dates:

January 9-10, 2010
February 13-14, 2010
March 13-14, 2010
March 20-21, 2010
April 10-11, 2010
April 17-18, 2010
April 24-25, 2010
May 1-2, 2010
May 15-16, 2010
I am considering the January or February dates. Anyone else interested in this?

http://www.sierramountaineering.com/
Nunc est bibendum
Zach

Post by Zach »

I'm interested, let me know what dates you are planning for and I'll see if I can manage it.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I'd like to do the January weekend.
Nunc est bibendum
norma r

Post by norma r »

i did day one a few years ago and learned to self arrest in every position of a fall. i recommend it.

i'd like to go back to take day two.

thanks for posting the info.
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

Late to the party, but I'd be interested in this as well. THanks for posting it up.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Done. Check's in the mail along with the SEVEN PAGES of forms I had to fill out.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

simonov wrote:Done. Check's in the mail along with the SEVEN PAGES of forms I had to fill out.
Snow is awful dangerous nowadays.