So.... I guess this pretty much does it for the Fire?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

I know it was still smoldering as of yesterday in some areas. If its really raining harder in the mountains than it is in Glendale I can't imagine anything smoldering any more.

Anyone know anything yet?
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

that fire is most likely completely out by tonight.

BUT, just watch those Santa Ana's come by next week and start a couple more fires.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

moppychris wrote:that fire is most likely completely out by tonight.

BUT, just watch those Santa Ana's come by next week and start a couple more fires.
Aw, thanks a lot. Tonight is a party night, to be sure, and you just ruined it. :)

I'd like to think that the moisture dropped on the Angeles by this storm would be enough to limit another fire to a pretty timid state. Am I right, or will the mountains dry up rapidly enough to become tinder again this year?
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

thank god for this rain, sorry for spoiling it.
the weather forecast could be anything.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Most areas of the forest got a good soaking, but not everywhere. Wrightwood got less than 1/4" as did a few areas other areas at under an inch. If we get a few wind events, it will dry up pretty good in those areas that got less than an inch or 2. However, as a whole, it's a good start for October, and I personally think we'll be OK.

running seasonal tallies for many spots on the Angeles:

http://www.ladpw.org/wrd/Precip/alert_r ... season.cfm
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

MtnMan wrote:Most areas of the forest got a good soaking, but not everywhere. Wrightwood got less than 1/4" as did a few areas other areas at under an inch. If we get a few wind events, it will dry up pretty good in those areas that got less than an inch or 2. However, as a whole, it's a good start for October, and I personally think we'll be OK.

running seasonal tallies for many spots on the Angeles:

http://www.ladpw.org/wrd/Precip/alert_r ... season.cfm
There are so many conflicting reports. The Mt Wilson webcam info said the area had over five inches of recorded rain, two on the first day. Weather.com has Mt. Wilson at less than an inch total - yet it has Mt. Waterman (not too far away) at almost three inches.

Your link has Chilao at about 1.6 inches. In any case since my personal main area of concern is the Buckhorn/Islip region it looks like the areas around there got a decent soaking.

From what I understand the last area still uncontained and smoldering was in the San Gabriel Wilderness south of twin peaks. I wonder how much rain that area got and if, in fact, the smoldering has been put out.

I was hoping for a nice clean "Station Fire is totally out!" announcement this week. :(

It might be better that it doesn't come though, because maybe by technically leaving the door open the powers that be are also enabling firefighters to stay near and dear to the area should anything spark back up.

Hopefully the storm has also dampened (no pun intended) the spirit of local firebugs who seem to live for Santa Anas. Hopefully the aforementioned firebugs also die slow, horrible, burn-related deaths before they rob us of anymore forest.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

In case you hadn't heard, the Station fire was officially contained on Friday.

This was a fairly unique storm in that the rainfall amounts were more variable than "normal".

Also, some sites (Like Chilao) have a RAWS weather station and an LADWP weather station within a mile or so of each other, and, believe it or not, can vary dramatically. The RAWS site is in a terrible location on the side of a large rock cliff near the heliport, and gives very inaccurate temperature and rainfall readings. (temperatures are often much warmer due to the large rock face that retains heat).