Mt. Whitney

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

Three friends and I from college out here in Claremont, CA are going to be heading up Mt. Whitney this weekend.

We are planning on heading out Friday, getting a permit and relaxing all day. Big early dinner and sleep.

Saturday up at 2:30AM and hike Mt. Whitney all in one day. Up and Back in time to go back to campus for saturday night parties.

Anyone else here ever do Mt. Whitney in a day? If not, did anyone here climb it? Enjoy it? Hate it? Looking for some beta.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

It's all about conditioning

When I was up there in August there where some people who where not in any shape to be up there, severe AMS

I've only been up there twice once from Whitney Portal and once from Crabtree Meadow

Both in one day. Whitney Portal up and back in 9½ hrs total but that was 10+ years ago

Last August was 11½ hours or so from Crabtree Meadow

When I did it in 9½ hrs my feeling was 2 days would have been better and that was my plan until a few days ago, but my trip was canceled due to Funemployment

This seems like a good writeup
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=303108

Matt

CMC-OC wrote:Three friends and I from college out here in Claremont, CA are going to be heading up Mt. Whitney this weekend.

We are planning on heading out Friday, getting a permit and relaxing all day. Big early dinner and sleep.

Saturday up at 2:30AM and hike Mt. Whitney all in one day. Up and Back in time to go back to campus for saturday night parties.

Anyone else here ever do Mt. Whitney in a day? If not, did anyone here climb it? Enjoy it? Hate it? Looking for some beta.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Hey, that plan sounds fun. I did Whitney in a day last week. Our trip was spur of the moment so we ended up having to get a permit the day of... which just means you get to see the trail at night :)

i also climbed the East Buttress of Whitney this summer. That was a classic climb! Try it if you have more time... its well worth it. Its also a good alternative if the regular trail is maxed out.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I suggest you get some altitude acclimation the day before - it really helps. Do a hike up to at least 10k if possible. Then come back down, sleep at the Portal, and you'll be good for the long dayhike.
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

Thanks for the replies guys!

haha we are planning on hiking a bit in the dark, It's a bit of a competition, we have two ROTC cadets, an AROTC cadet, and myself representing Marine OCS. All of us are in pretty good (I'd say very good) physical condition, so that's not too worrying.

We are trying to get the permit Friday, then hike up and back on Saturday, from Whitney Portal.

I don't know if we'll be doing the acclimating hike, but I'll bring it up for sure. That's good advice actually, thanks.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

You will enjoy the hike much more if you allow some time to acclimate. Let us know how it goes.
gwjones00

Post by gwjones00 »

Lots of people do it in a day. If you are in good physical shape, you should be able to do it. One thing you need to be careful about this time of year - make sure you take enough water at Trail Camp to make the five mile trek to the top and the five miles back down. There is a spring that flows on the trail, but the weather is such now that the spring is frozen and is not a reliable water source.

Check this website for a bunch of trail reports (recent): http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... d=1&page=1

Good luck and have fun!