Happy 2 Year Anniversary to this Forum

Comments & questions about this site.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

It seems the 2yr anniversary just passed since this forum initiated.

Since I started reading stuff in this forum in Jan/Feb 08 I have gained so much knowledge it's kinda crazy. I went from asking stupid questions and not knowing where things were to, well, still asking stupid questions but knowing where things are.

Thanks for creating and sharing this forum!

P.S. Need to make the forum searchable on google so people can find it. Whats the deal with that?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:It seems the 2yr anniversary just passed since this forum initiated.

Since I started reading stuff in this forum in Jan/Feb 08 I have gained so much knowledge it's kinda crazy. I went from asking stupid questions and not knowing where things were to, well, still asking stupid questions but knowing where things are.

Thanks for creating and sharing this forum!
TWO YEARS! HUZZAH! :)

Of the people who became members on day one,
Travis
TacoDelRio
hvydrt
san onofre guy
hillbasher
KathyW
Hikin_Jim
HikeUp
Rob
AlanK
muddeer
He219
EManBevHills

many are still around, a testament to the popularity, value, and success of the forum. Thank you Travis (wherever you are) and Taco.
wrote:P.S. Need to make the forum searchable on google so people can find it. Whats the deal with that?
For real. The San Jacintos forum comes right up.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

no more knee caps!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Yay!
Taco

Post by Taco »

I'll buy a damn domain name when I can damn afford the damn thing, damnit.

Damn.

It will be www.crustybuttclown.sex
Taco

Post by Taco »

Actually, it's cheap, I know. I should have one by now.

Probably www.sangabrielmountains.com or org or tv or sex, whatever. Or, we can go with crusty butt clown. The choice is yours.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Put it to a vote and everyone that votes has to donate a $1 so Taco doesn't have to pay it out of his pocket?

:D
Rob

Post by Rob »

Taco .... Thank you ....
. . . Rob :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

crustybuttclown has a certain ring to it I must admit. :shock:
Taco

Post by Taco »

Also, FWIW, I am in school to become an e1337 h4xx0rz. I'll put something together. It's a priority now that you guys made a fuss. :lol:

My general idea is to make it a user-contributor based site or however you say it, kinda like how you have Summitpost, but simpler (HTML, no GUI editor, I don't think, maybe, maybe not). A site covereing everything in the SG's from closure conditions and avalanche warnings to the best canyon to grow pot and guard with your vato esse friends.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I wonder if http://forum.socalhikes.com/ would be appropriate?

Maybe better check with Zé first.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

Not specifically a hiking forum, but a forum for SoCal mountains.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Check out what I did with http://www.guntards.net/

That was pretty easy to set up. No fancy bells and whistles.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

What's the software? Looks like BH.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

c'mon TACO, WHAT'S THE HOLD UP? i'm in to help with whatever. don't make me get a Tick Twister out on you.

even if not getting a nice domain name, there must at least be forums to set up free that get indexed on google at least. this forum's popularity and importance could easily increase with that.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Btw, for new members or those who haven't seen it, here's a re-cap of SGMDF's first year.
Taco

Post by Taco »

wrote:c'mon TACO, WHAT'S THE HOLD UP? i'm in to help with whatever. don't make me get a Tick Twister out on you.

even if not getting a nice domain name, there must at least be forums to set up free that get indexed on google at least. this forum's popularity and importance could easily increase with that.
Any help appreciated. I've used other free forum software before without any positive results.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post from October.

I use Textpattern as a CMS and FluxBB for forum software.

http://textpattern.com/

http://fluxbb.org/

I have been working with one of the developers of FluxBB to do some customizations for Bad Harvest, and I am thinking about having him do a major integration of those two applications. For example, you post an article with Textpattern and instead of commenting on the article, users can post in a forum thread automatically started when the article is posted.

I have combined Textpattern and FluxBB (or PunBB, FluxBB's precursor) on Guntards.net and Mesatactical.com:

http://www.mesatactical.com/

http://www.guntards.net/

They are combined, but not really integrated, except visually.

Another Textpattern site I have set up is here:

http://heidijanemusic.com/

Once I set it up I let the site owner do all the updating. She hasn't called me for any assistance since the week I put it on-line.

FluxBB is really a very good forum application. It is clean and simple, with few bells and whistles, and personally I like that.
Nunc est bibendum
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Nice, seeing (& listening) to the video, Tim!
Where's the sequel?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

so what's the deal with hosting...I see a bunch of free forum hosters (like the one that's being used) but I guess this limits capability? best to just buy a domain name and put it up there, right? is it hard to transfer archives?
Socalhiker

Post by Socalhiker »

Congrats to a great forum!
:D
Taco

Post by Taco »

wrote:so what's the deal with hosting...I see a bunch of free forum hosters (like the one that's being used) but I guess this limits capability?
Yes.
best to just buy a domain name and put it up there, right? is it hard to transfer archives?
Shouldn't be hard.

I hate to sound like a dick (though I am one), but I can't be bothered to do this at the moment. I have no motivation to do this right now. Right now, as in I will later. I don't know exactly when. Sorry.