ANF Reopening Date

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

A friend happened to call the ANF asking when the forest would reopen, and the response was November 7. Who knows as to which part this refers to, or the validity, but it sounds disappointing
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:A friend happened to call the ANF asking when the forest would reopen, and the response was November 7. Who knows as to which part this refers to, or the validity, but it sounds disappointing
Did they mention what year? :wink:
Socalhiker

Post by Socalhiker »

Now this hurts. :(
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Did they mention what year? :wink:
:lol:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Did they mention what year? :wink:
That, of couse is the question.
I'd guess that some areas and roads will open 11-7-09; but most of the affected areas will be closed 1-4 years for our "own safety" and "resource protection".

I believe in the I can hurt myself if I want to credo.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Maybe just the road will be open but no campground/picnic sites.
From one of the videos. The pavement looked fine. How long does it take to replace the barriers?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Ha, looks like I'll be running historical info for misc news.
tarol

Post by tarol »

That's an interesting date to pull out of thin air... Do you know what number they called and who they talked to?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

no I don't have anymore specific info. i'd just take it as hearsay for now...but just giving something to talk about!
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

If in fact the forest opens on Nov. 7th, hey that's my birthday :D, only expect to see areas that did not burn open. The front range. Mt Echo, Chantry Flats and Henninger Flats. Don't hold your breath for much else.

The road between La Canada & Palmdale is high priority right now. The traffic on the 14 freeway is murder. Once that opens there will be no stopping allowed!! The forest can be expected to remain closed until spring 2010. YES!! That's right, spring. This is first hand from a rec officer with the FS. Until the fire is OUT, don't expect to even be driving towards Newcombs. The road will remain closed between La Canada and Islip for some time. The fire will be considered controlled once the area gets a good rain. There is no containment line near the fire on the south face of Twin Peaks. To rugged so they are watching it there and using water drops to keep in in check. For that reason the forest will remain closed. Al the guard rails have to be replaced, signs have melted and there are countless rock slides everywhere. The hills are very unstable.

Vetter is gone as is the Mill Creek RS, Monte Cristo got hit as did Short Cut station. The Hidden Springs Cafe is history and will not be rebuilt from what I have heard.
The Arroyo is a waste land. I am heading up for a first hand look in 2 weeks and will be hiking into a few canyons to get a look as well. I am expecting the worst. :cry:
The re-forestation will start in the spring after the winter rains. We will be planting 2-3 year old trees rather than saplings. They will still need watering and care or they will wither and die. Expect to see the forest return in 20 years. The forest as we know it will be no more in our life time. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Richard N. wrote: The re-forestation will start in the spring after the winter rains. We will be planting 2-3 year old trees rather than saplings. They will still need watering and care or they will wither and die. Expect to see the forest return in 20 years. The forest as we know it will be no more in our life time. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Why plant new trees? Mother Nature will take of all of that for you. I believe that humans cause more problems when we intervene.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

There is internet traction that the forest is open, but I cant find the areas closed yet.

edit:should have said or thats its even open....
http://www.pr-inside.com/redhook-califo ... 508512.htm

so apparently this is from mtbaldy.com which I dont like.