Mt San Gorgonio via Dry Lake 5-7 Sept 2009

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I was hike organizer for a three-day trip through the San Gorgonio Wilderness over Labor Day weekend with the OCHC. The original idea was to regroup with the same folks who came up with me on Memorial Day, but as it turned out there were only four of us along from the earlier trip, out of the twelve who came this time. We still had a great weekend together.

This was a simpler route than before, via the South Fork Trail to Dry Lake,where we camped for two nights. Then on Sunday we climbed to the 11,499 foot summit via the Sky High Trail from Mineshaft Saddle, afterward returning to Dry Lake. Monday we hiked back out again.

Because I have tended to avoid the South Fork Trail over the years, generally preferring the Fish Creek approach, this was literally my first time back there in 19 years (since I was a volunteer ranger for the US Forest Service). I was surprised by the beauty and majesty of the landscape above Dry Lake, which I had forgotten about.

Despite the three-day holiday weekend, we had the trail camp, the trail and even the summit almost to ourselves. I have rarely seen so few people in the San Gorgonio Wilderness on a summer weekend, let alone a holiday. There was relatively light traffic during the drive back to Orange County as well. Strange.

I have been out backpacking throughout this summer with almost all the people who came with me on the hike. They are really fun people and we all had a fantastic time in camp together as well as on the trail.

---> Moar photos. <---
Nunc est bibendum
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Very nice pictures!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

If you had run up to Fish Creek Saddle or Mine Shaft Saddle Saturday after setting up camp we could have crossed paths, I almost went up and bagged Grinnell on the way out and might have been able to yell down at you guys. :D

Looks like you had another successful trip, nice pictures.

I like both approaches to the summit, one because it allows me quicker access, the other because it's a great way to practice longer hikes, both have great beauty, hard to go wrong in that area. Cannot wait to see this year's snow back there? :D

See you on the trail soon - lilbitmo :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

nice trip! Fish Creek is on my to-do list from reading your posts.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I miss San G. Cool pics.