Mt Tyndall 9.5.09

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

So its was time for the big one.....
Mt tyndall sits right behind williamson to the west. It can not be seen from the 395. You start at shepherds pass trail 6300ft to Tyndall 14,018ft.
Its all nice till you get to its base, where there is no trail but a steep class 3 scramble to the ridge then some bouldering to the high point!.
I think the views from the top are better than Langleys. But the hike was much harder. All i wonder is how people ascend williamson cuz its so jagged and steep. probly class 4 or 5..
~14.5 hours
24miles
8692 ft gain
:x

6 or 7 miles & 3000ft gain later made it the camp. elev 9000feet

After the camp its all UP to the pass

Ze thinks he beat me to the pass

Tyndall from the tip top of the pass

1000feet up this kind of terrain to the top..Once you get to the top of the ridge you are @ 13,926. Then its more scrambling 100 yards south to high point

Views from 14k
Whitney in background

Now back down.....
Lake @ shepherds pass.

Down down down

Started @ 4am
Reached the cars about 6.30pm
Long day
:roll:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Nice Pictures! Tyndall is a tough day hike.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Nice job on Tyndall.

Williamson is Class 2 by the easiest route and that is via George Creek, but that area is only open for a couple of short periods each year. It's really pretty up there - I did Trojan Peak that way a couple years ago.

Williamson is Class 3 via Williamson Bowl and there is only one short and pretty easy Class 3 section that way. There are many other ways up too, but most are more technical.

What makes Williamson difficult is the long tough approach - longer and tougher than Tyndall. The Williamson area is closed after July 15th.

We did Williamson over 3 days on a heavy snow year (snow started at 10000'), which made the pack heavier but the traverse through the Williamson Bowl easier. Day 1 we hauled the pack over Shepherd Pass to the small lake up near the Pass. Day 2 we traversed Williamson Bowl and climbed Williamson and then went back to camp at Shepherd Pass. Day 3 we went back down from Shepherd Pass to the trailhead.

If you can do Tyndall in a day, you might be able to do Williamson in an even longer day or you could do it easily in two days.