Mount Baldwin

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Lik2Hik (Phil) from this board and i did a day hike Sat 8/22/09 of Mount Baldwin near Convict Lake. we had light rain most of the afternoon but the temps were perfect for a great day on the mountain. i had wanted to do this mountain for the last three years after hearing about the Calcite deposits on it. i was not disappointed with the amount of crystals. stats: 5,000 feet elevation gain in 13 miles.

we chose not to do the intended Sunday hike out of South Lake when the rain that fell all Saturday night was still falling Sunday morning. instead we drove south to Onion Valley hoping to find better weather and hiked up Kearsarge Pass with the intention to do Mount Gould. shortly after we began the scramble from the pass to Gould, weather came in with thunder followed by graupel snow. two hundred feet short of the summit we turned around with the intention to scree ski down the slope east of the pass. but the limited visability played a trick on us and we dropped into a chute north of the slope. we realized our error about 100 feet down and found ourselves heading for the Golden Trout Lakes. our out & back hike became a loop and we enjoyed the view the GTL trail had to offer.

Lik2Hik had fun hiking with me but the highlight of his weekend was on Friday when he soloed Middle Palisade. very cool!! congrats!

pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... rsargePass#
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Wow! Super pictures and report. Thanks for posting.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Amazing!! I've never seen, or even heard about those crystals. Very cool. Beautiful photos!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Great trip Norma & Phil. Great pics of the fascinating geology.

Nice job bagging Middle Pal too, Phil!!!
kgw

Post by kgw »

Xlnt! You people are so full of energy it hurts! :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Too cool. Cool Calcite there, too.