How to recharge your soul

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Kinda interesting: How to recharge your soul
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Excellent.

Also, the part where he talks about noobs with their heavy packs and boots. Always funny to see those folks on the trail! "This sucks!" Yeah, your daypack weighs 55lbs, and you're only going on a 5 mile hike!
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

I like the part about how past generations of kids would consider being kept inside as 'detension' ( I recall that as "being grounded"); amazing how the rapid flow of information has made us such a paranoid society. As long as I showed up at home by dinnertime my parents weren't too concerned where I was (grew up here in the Los Angeles basin).
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Then we'll have to tell the British what to do if they get their coats dirty!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

DamOTclese wrote:Getting kids out of the stinking cities, I think, it something that would help improve citizens' health -- mental and physical.
Yeah, like that eagle scout? I thought they should have stayed home unless there is no possibility of making a mistake...or are you trying to dupe them into a big bill? Or just to make fun of them as 'noobs'?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

phydeux wrote:As long as I showed up at home by dinnertime my parents weren't too concerned where I was (grew up here in the Los Angeles basin).
Same here. I'd wander off in the hills above Glendale up canyons and God knows where. lol. They'd jail my parents for neligence if they did that today.

I was so used to XC growing up with a hiker/backpacker father and rambling the hills of Glendale that I was surprised when I joined the Sierra Club and found out that hiking off trail was a whole 'nother category ("I") compared to on trail hiking ("O") and that leaders had to get special training. Shoot, I just figured you used the trails when they were convenient and went XC the rest of the time. What do you mean not everybody does that.

I guess today's kids' experiences would differ from mine. Perhaps the internet is a gain, but it's also a loss.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Well as far as the article, I have a mixed reaction. Even for Angeles, which suffers from overcrowding and not a deficiency, theres a lot of information missing that people need to know.

First, crime. These blogs portray outdoors like some kind of heaven...they are not...oh ,overnight? Good luck with that.

Second, access. There isnt enough room for everyone. Information is also limited leading to certain areas being stuffed...if you can find the information. Most of the info is hidden, otherwise that area get blitzed and massacred if it isnt already.

Third, restrictions. Here in the mtns, we have hundreds of citations fire-related. Far from being a chance to go loose, open places often impose more restrictions than inside a home. These blogs seem to imply freedom is in nature...far from it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
phydeux wrote:As long as I showed up at home by dinnertime my parents weren't too concerned where I was (grew up here in the Los Angeles basin).
Same here. I'd wander off in the hills above Glendale up canyons and God knows where. lol. They'd jail my parents for neligence if they did that today.

I was so used to XC growing up with a hiker/backpacker father and rambling the hills of Glendale that I was surprised when I joined the Sierra Club and found out that hiking off trail was a whole 'nother category ("I") compared to on trail hiking ("O") and that leaders had to get special training. Shoot, I just figured you used the trails when they were convenient and went XC the rest of the time. What do you mean not everybody does that.

I guess today's kids' experiences would differ from mine. Perhaps the internet is a gain, but it's also a loss.
Excellent points, Jimbo.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

hiking does alot . im suprised they havent invented a pill or sports drink that does this yet :roll: