Three Tees Trail (3 T's)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Leslie L

Post by Leslie L »

Hi everyone - Happy Holidays!

Thinking of doing the 3 T's from Icehouse Canyon this week. What are the conditions like? Is there much snow? I have crampons and ice axe but no snowshoes. Also - I've heard about a "shortcut" on the return that bypasses Telegraph and Timber and intersects at the Chapman trail. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks -
Leslie
Taco

Post by Taco »

Howdy Leslie!

Conditions on the west side of Telegraph, where the trail switchbacks up, is deep snow in places, as of the 23rd. I would bring crampons just in case, and an axe or trekking poles. It has been warmer since the 23rd, so I do not know what conditions are like since then.

As for a shortcut, the canyon that runs from SW-NE between Thunder and Telegraph provides a shortcut to Chapman Trail.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I was just up there as far as Timber Peak on Sunday ( ). I did not have crampons, but they would have been very useful down in the lower part of Icehouse Canyon, as the snow that was there last week is now treacherous ice.

Above the Saddle it is an easy hike, with most of the snow gone from the south facing ridge until you get to about 8,000 feet, where there is crusty snow, not very deep. It is easy to walk through without crampons, snowshoes or poles. It was about 50 degrees F even at the peak, so if the weather continues like that for a couple days I am sure there will be far less snow.

I stopped at Timber Peak because I don't know the area and couldn't find footprints continuing past that point, but the walking seemed easy.

I considered using the Chapman Trail on my return, but was afraid it would be too icy. In fact, as it is more exposed to the sun, I suspect it is far less icy than the Icehouse Canyon trail, so if you can use it, do so.

Taco already told me about the blooper in the video regarding Telescope/Thunder Peak, so I will fix that later.
Nunc est bibendum
Leslie L

Post by Leslie L »

Has anyone been up to the 3 Ts this month? Would like to know what the conditions are - if it is doable now with crampons and ice axe. The last trip report I saw at the end of March said the trail was clear to Timber but possibly snow covered/icy/hazardous to Thunder and Telegraph. I’d like to do the loop the easy way - Icehouse to the Ts to the ski lift and close it with a car shuttle. Any info appreciated. Thanks!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

How strenuous? Anyone have/seen any trip reports recently for this?
I know its ~9.3 the path I'm going(Ice house to ski lifts), lots of up and down? Any tips?

Looking to hike this maybe Saturday, and if anyone's been up there recently or hiked it in the past, any warnings?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Tips? Skip Timber. :lol:

If you go from Manker Flats, up Baldy Road, it's easy peasy. Thunder is the easiest by the standard route, then down to the saddle between Tele and Thunder. Up Tele's "west face" (the broad one), then down to Timber. This section is the most challenging, I guess.

Conditions when I last went up were a tad different from now, so I imagine it's much less icy now.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Funyan005 wrote:How strenuous? Anyone have/seen any trip reports recently for this?
I know its ~9.3 the path I'm going(Ice house to ski lifts), lots of up and down? Any tips?

Looking to hike this maybe Saturday, and if anyone's been up there recently or hiked it in the past, any warnings?
It's not a super hard core hike. If you've done the ski hut trail to Baldy, I'd say the ski hut trail is harder, albeit shorter. Note that I did it as a car shuttle with one car at the ski lift and another at Icehouse canyon and that I started at the ski lift. I also "cheated" and rode the ski lift up.

Thunder is pretty trivial. Not much of a peak to it. Then you go on over to Telegraph. Telegraph has some nice views. Really steep, sheer East face. Very cool to look practically straight down from. From Telegraph, you lose a lot of elevation and go through some interesting, less visited country. Ice in here would be dangerous. From Telegraph-Timber saddle to the top of Timber is no big deal. Not much to Timber mountain. Just a forested high point. Then descend to Icehouse Saddle and then down the trail past Columbine Spring (good water; nice spot) down to the trailhead.

Good hike.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Can anyone who's been up (or down) the Three T's Trail lately please give the conditions? I will not be on that trail, but a friend is thinking she may try it this Saturday. She just prefers to steer clear of snow.

Thanks!
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

i was on cucamonga peak last saturday morning and there was 1 patch of snow on the trail, and there wasnt even 5 feet of it, still easily passable to the side.

if there is snow on the 3 T's trail, its probably a 2 foot detour around it
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Was on the trail today (5/22) and the trail is clear of snow (OK 1 little patch near Telegraph about 5 feet in diameter). Other than than and 1 downed tree, the trail is in great shape!
Enjoy...
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks guys!

I'll pass this info onto my friend. I will NOT be hiking that trail tomorrow. I'll be doing Vivian Creek to the San Gorgonio summit.

Cheers!
Sean

Post by Sean »

If anyone hits Telegraph Peak before this Sunday, I'm curious if there is any problematic ice along the trail. Thanks.