TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

edenooch

Post by edenooch »

bout time
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

:lol: @ the rude sheep kicking rocks down on you!

When you going back? :wink:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp wrote::lol: @ the rude sheep kicking rocks down on you!

When you going back? :wink:
I dunno, but I feel like if it happens it will be part of some epic hike :wink:
LD

Post by LD »

Nice job!

I'm not sure which is more impressive, someone finally getting to Stanley Miller or getting 9 people to follow you up there :shock: We should call you the pied piper of S.G. :lol:
I'm lucky to get one to go with me :roll:

Is mine bagging the same as peak bagging?
Does it count if you don't find the hole :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LD wrote: Does it count if you don't find the hole? :wink:
That's what she said.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

LD wrote:Nice job!

I'm not sure which is more impressive, someone finally getting to Stanley Miller or getting 9 people to follow you up there :shock: We should call you the pied piper of S.G. :lol:
I'm lucky to get one to go with me :roll:

Is mine bagging the same as peak bagging?
Does it count if you don't find the hole :wink:
it's time for you to join along!

I'll avoid commenting on the hole finding, lol
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Watch out for this Ze...hes moving fast now in this area and even Baden-Powell is almost at risk. One thing I sort of like is how determined you guys are..brush be damned.LOL.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

AW wrote: Baden-Powell is almost at risk.
I was looking at that while heading up the canyon; the direct way would be to start ascending the ridge heading north right where Iron Fork starts. But eventually you'd have to veer west and hit Ross. You'd have to traverse this ridge which has some questionable parts from what I saw

LD

Post by LD »

wrote:it's time for you to join along!
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." :wink:

I would have gone Saturday with you guys but had to work. Ended up on West Baldy at 8:00 A.M. Sunday but it was so smokey I could barely see Pine, Dawson or any of the Ontario ridge line. Didn't want to hike in that smoke where I wanted to go so made for a short day :(
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice write up Ze. Another wild hike, that's for sure. I have a new appreciation for what SAR does because we only searched maybe a square mile of extreme rugged, extremely steep terrain filled with nearly every obstacle you can imagine and we were totally beat. GPS can only do so much and the rest of the way you have to depend on visual clues like landmarks and contour lines. We definitely learned a few things on this trip.

If we had that site plan, there's no doubt we would have found the mine. We were on the 4200 ft contour several times but we kept circling the target. Then again, if we had that map we probably would not have ascended the way we did and had the adventure that we had. That ascent was rather dangerous but it was definitely memorable. Since no one got hurt (too bad), I think the mission was successful!

However, having a large group in terrain like this does present some challenges. Rock fall is one of them (I got my first 10 pounder right to my left hand), but it's also easy to get separated and depending on just voice communications might not always work. Fortunately, yelling worked for us on this day but I kept worrying that we were going to lose a man. Maybe I just worry too much.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Tim wrote:Maybe I just worry too much.
Stop worrying about it and keep worrying! It's good for your health. :wink:

You guys are extremely dedicated to your goals (a.k.a. insane!). I'm beginning to think there is nothing in the San Gabriel's that can't be done as a day hike. Once you've day hiked everything, then you'll have to do it all over again in the winter!!!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

No Tim I don't think that would be worrying too much. I was concerned too. As I went up the north side on the crappy rock "scouting out" I thought I could cut across then head down a bit and signal for you guys to head into the brush. However the brush slowed me down so I had to climb back north to shout out since you guys were already ascending the same shitty area I had!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Tim wrote:Rock fall is one of them (I got my first 10 pounder right to my left hand),
Welcome to the club! :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

a cool paragraph on the Stanley Miller by John Robinson
Perched precariously on the cliffs above the East Fork Narrows was the Stanley-Miller, discovered by Gordon Stanley and Ben Miller in 1915, worked until 1939. Heavy cast-iron parts for a ball mill were somehow laboriously dragged up the precipitous mountainside and fastened by steel cables to the cliff outside the mine. The airy Wetwater Trail, terror of pack mules with its dripping water, was hacked out of the cliffs above the Narrows to gain access. The Stanley-Miller met a fierce "Gotterdammerung" in 1953, when a forest conflagration burned away the mill supports and heavy equipment came crashing down the mountainside to the bottom of the Narrows, made more dramatic by the loud din of bursting blasting caps.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

went up there last sunday up the iron fork. I never knew all the cool mines and left overs there are. Also water slides... :lol:
it was amazing how people just disappear a 1/2 mile from bridge to nowhere.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

so you found the mine entrance? got any pics?