San antonio ridge 8-15

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

This week my intention was to do baldy to dawson and pine. I changed my mind in an instant when I took a look at the ridge connecting to iron.
I started about 5-30am Went up register ridge and went all the wat to west baldy by 7-50am. It was some major down hill. to the "San antonio ridge campsite" which is just a big rock firepit ona saddle! When i saw how close iron was i continued. Hump after hump. till i got to "gun sight notch" This class 3 route looked sketchy but not too bad. After that i came to another notch and hump was a little higher then the first. When i got to the bottom of that the last was looked to be like a 600-700 ft gain of class 3. This is where i needed tacodelrio and his skils. i figured i was already doig bad on timing and did even want to come back this way. So my quest to bag iron was unsuccessful. So i backtracked the ridge. went back up to west baldy -> down back bone to the lodge. And took the lift bak down to my car.
for some reason at the start of the hike my gps went bonkers and didnt start recording data till i finished the register ridge portion. So my stats from the RR instersection with the back bone to the lodge in total was 11.7miles 5200ft gain. I think RR from manker is 2.5mi and 3100ft gain.
So 8300ft gain and 14.2 miles in all. And going back up to west baldy from the SAR saddle up to W baldy sure freekin felt like it!

ImageImage
Bighorn sheep. One decided to moon me
My challenge for the day
At the bottom of W baldy heading down he first hump of SAR
ImageImage
Gun sight notch
The next class 3 hump after gun sight
The 3rd notch-Where I decided it was a no go
3000feet and a few miles later. a close encounter
Now to the lodge for a beer
and ski lift to car
The end of todays hike

GPS DATA EXCLUDING REGISTER RIDGE
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Great pics, especially the Ram mooning you! Brilliant!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice pics!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice Pictures, Nice TR, good decision to turn back if you felt it was too much to do the "Third Notch".

No matter what it was successful, you went and had fun, came back safe, that's what counts. :D
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wow, nice pics...just thinking about doing this hike in the summer will keep me nice and asleep that day...