Another "hiker" injured at Eaton Canyon

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... anyon.html

A hiker was critically injured today after falling more than 40 feet in Eaton Canyon in Altadena, officials said.

Malon Argueta, who is in his early 20s, was hiking with two females about 5:45 p.m. when he fell near a waterfall in the same area where a 21-year-old hiker plunged to his death last month, authorities said.

Search and rescue teams located Argueta, who was conscious but suffering from head and leg injuries, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the Pasadena Fire Department.

He was airlifted to the trauma unit at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, where he was listed in critical condition.

Pasadena Fire Department spokeswoman Lisa Derderian said the number of injuries in Eaton Canyon increases during the summer as hikers seek out the scenic waterfalls.

“I don’t know the circumstances with this one, but you can never take enough precautions,” she said. “We have a lot of local hikers. I think they assume that because they’re in their own backyard they don’t have to take the necessary precautions.”
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_12950207
Richard De Leon, Altadena Mountain Rescue wrote: "Really, the only solution I could see is if someone could undertake a mission to build a safer trail to access that area," said Richard De Leon, medical officer and public relations officer for Altadena Mountain Rescue.
Really Mr De Leon..... :roll:
MikeSash

Post by MikeSash »

I say shut down the razorback. Blow it up, grow a forest of poison oak on it, or place an armored guard at its beginning.

AND

check this out: Eaton Canyon descent becomes PERMIT ONLY.

AND

Each canyoneer must pack out 3 pieces of trash or remove 3 pieces of graffiti. (to be checked by armored guard at bottom)

I was in there yesterday. For the first time in my 4 times down the canyon I didn't run into any people at the 2nd falls. Maybe people are beginning to fear the death trail?

Check out this optional jump we did in the lower "2nd narrows"
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Oh Eaton canyon, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

Great pic! Do you have more to share?
MikeSash

Post by MikeSash »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

MikeSash wrote:I say shut down the razorback. Blow it up, grow a forest of poison oak on it, or place an armored guard at its beginning.

AND

check this out: Eaton Canyon descent becomes PERMIT ONLY.

AND

Each canyoneer must pack out 3 pieces of trash or remove 3 pieces of graffiti. (to be checked by armored guard at bottom)

I was in there yesterday. For the first time in my 4 times down the canyon I didn't run into any people at the 2nd falls. Maybe people are beginning to fear the death trail?

Check out this optional jump we did in the lower "2nd narrows"
NIIICE!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

ha, you wont keep them out of Eaton showing those pics..LOL...but seriously,I am having no part in any mission to make that route safer, as I think its straightforward as to what kind of class 3 route it is.

I think canyoneers have taken excellent care of Eaton. There are 3 bolted drops(with less than optimal bolt placement), but not much impact since its granite rock as well. The historical drainage down to the creek is in atrocious condition as far as erosion,etc...thats about it. Certainly in my opinion, not to the level of needing permits. If anything, they should volunteerize canyoneers to have authority to tell people to pack up and leave if needbe.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I vote for what Mike said.

I think we should 'hire' (voluntold) a fat kid to stay at the "place where people fall", to laugh at them upon impact, and offer no other services.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Found this pic searching 'razorback eaton canyon' - is this the spot people tumble down or is it just one of the places people tumble down?

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/mwjcITUE ... JfCmHUi9CA

I wouldn't go up or down that thing.... well, unless....... :wink: :wink:

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/mwjcITUE ... rzgbL0xuiQ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

That be the trail...thats simple class 3(if you call it class 3)...the incidents are happening much further along the trail...
see past 1:37 in
or for example.

They make it look way harder than it is for class 3, but a lot of these people (as evidenced in the first video) are just managing to get by.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks a ton for that AW! I had no idea...

That second youtube, that captures the angle quite well - an angle that I wouldn't wanna be on...

Then you got those backpacks adding some more weight on the death-ward side.

Wild stuff - at least for some of us.

PS - I love your misc news9 posts - some of my favorite things to read on this board :!:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

outwhere wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

That second youtube, that captures the angle quite well - an angle that I wouldn't wanna be on...:
Did you also notice the footwear?? WET CHUCKS!! Holy crap. I wouldn't walk on a sidewalk in those.