Lonely summits and peaks

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Hey all, In my quest to go on new and great hikes. I wanted to if any one could recommend places were people seldom hike in Socal. On a typical weekend every one and their moms is up baldy or Jacinto! What peak have u been on latley where the register hasnt been signed since 97.
Thanks
e
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Triplet Rocks. ;-)

-Mermaid 3702 (too easy, no register yet though)
Mermaid 4065 (good luck!)
-Mermaid 4654 (if anyone has ever been on it w/o a helicopter)
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

TacoDelRio wrote:Triplet Rocks. ;-)
Ah yes. i have heard of this. Hopefully Ze and his team lead another expedition i can join in on
simonov

Post by simonov »

Both times I have been up on Ontario Peak, I (or my party) was alone.
Nunc est bibendum
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I think you'll find that the peaks listed on the Sierra Clubs HPS and LPS lists are visited quite often - certainly all of them have been visited since 1997! You will however, on any given weekend, have a good chance of being the only one on a lot of the peaks. Certainly the more mileage and elevation gain you are from the parking area, the fewer and fewer people you'll see. I'd bet that Pleasant View Ridge (the high point west of Will Thrall) would be one of the least visited of the listed peaks.

Once you start going to peaks off of any list, then you'll be doing cross-country by yourself and would be unlikely to find a register.

That's my opinion at least.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.26796,-11 ... %2Cunnamed
A=3702
B=4065
C=4654

I imagine that just getting near them is (at least) half the issue. The poison oak and brush would be terrible. Multi-day effort? Sounds hellish. When are you going? :lol:
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

HikeUp wrote:I think you'll find that the peaks listed on the Sierra Clubs HPS and LPS lists are visited quite often - certainly all of them have been visited since 1997! You will however, on any given weekend, have a good chance of being the only one on a lot of the peaks. Certainly the more mileage and elevation gain you are from the parking area, the fewer and fewer people you'll see. I'd bet that Pleasant View Ridge (the high point west of Will Thrall) would be one of the least visited of the listed peaks.
Once you start going to peaks off of any list, then you'll be doing cross-country by yourself and would be unlikely to find a register.

That's my opinion at least.

I actually found a register on point below and west of Pleasant View Ridge. If you look at a topo of the area, follow the ridgeline to the West until you see a label on the map that says "View." It had the trademark red coffee can. I don't recall the dates, but I signed it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.26796,-11 ... %2Cunnamed
A=3702
B=4065
C=4654

I imagine that just getting near them is (at least) half the issue. The poison oak and brush would be terrible. Multi-day effort? Sounds hellish. When are you going? :lol:
Already did A. A bunch of bushwhacking up top.

B probably requires 5th class climbing up the only piece of land that doesn't have a shitload of brush choking it. There is a granite arete of sorts that goes to the summit from the north.

C requires approaching from Twin Peaks, going DOWN the west ridge forever and ever, then going UP to the summit of C. Or, one can start near Cogswell Dam and find a way up through the rockfields and brush.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

go visit 'peak' 6388x on Big Horn Ridge, lol
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

over/under on when AW mentions x 5014' ? :P
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

PLACE YOUR BETS!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I thought big horn ridge got conquered by ZE and them!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Are we talking the hardest or?

I think sometimes its just more of going a different way. Theres more than a few of these that in my opinion offer a much much better experience to boot.

Now if we are talking hardest certainly talking Twin Peaks west ridge in the mix. Little Mermaid pk I would consider a certain heavyweight, but less than Bighorn ridge...although a better experience except for the summit peak in my opinion.

Im more thinking of simpler peaks like Condor,Fox,Strawberry,Muir....some nice routes to get there in my opinion....I plan to complete some of these off-trail routes and be deemed a traitor to the non-peak baggers.

Heres my list of peaks thus far:
Mt Hawkins
Mt Disappointment(by mistake/not paying attention)
Mt Lowe(Sierra club July 4)
pk 3681 MtWilson toll road
pk 3702 SG wilderness
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

edenooch wrote:I thought big horn ridge got conquered by ZE and them!
sure. my only point is I don't think it's visited much. like hardly at all!
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

Some nice hikes? This summer I've done the peaks on the north side of Big Bear Lake. Most are short hikes (6-7 mile RT) and they receive very little traffic:
-Grays Peak receives a lot of traffic (both hikers and MTBr's).
-Butler Peak is a 14 mile RT on a fire road (defiantely a good MTB trip) with a fire lookout on top.
-Bertha & Delamar can be done from the Cougar Crest Trail - lots of traffic on the CCT, but after that its pretty quiet. Bertha's only 1/2 mile from the top of the CCT, and has radio relay towers on it.
-Gold Mtn is way out on the east end, north of Baldwin Lake; really quiet.

In the SGW: Forsee Creek Trail up to Anderson Peak or San Berdoo Peak. Usually very little traffic even on weekends.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

phydeux wrote:Some nice hikes? This summer I've done the peaks on the north side of Big Bear Lake. Most are short hikes (6-7 mile RT) and they receive very little traffic:
-Grays Peak receives a lot of traffic (both hikers and MTBr's).
-Butler Peak is a 14 mile RT on a fire road (defiantely a good MTB trip) with a fire lookout on top.
-Bertha & Delamar can be done from the Cougar Crest Trail - lots of traffic on the CCT, but after that its pretty quiet. Bertha's only 1/2 mile from the top of the CCT, and has radio relay towers on it.
-Gold Mtn is way out on the east end, north of Baldwin Lake; really quiet.

In the SGW: Forsee Creek Trail up to Anderson Peak or San Berdoo Peak. Usually very little traffic even on weekends.
Speaking of the San Berdoos, Sugarloaf Peak (9952'), which is just north of the SGW (south of Big Bear Lake) is a nice one. It's not in the wilderness area, so it's less visited, but it has FABULOUS views of the main peaks along the San Bernardino Divide in the wilderness area. The best views are from the trail east of and before you reach the summit.